Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:38 PM   #1

Hi,

I just got a 580 EX II. And yes i went for it since i got it for a price so cheap u would have picked one urself.

My question is, can i use the flash as a remote like i can do in Nikon.

If so what do i have to do. I am able to use the flash to trigger remote flashes but i want to use just the 580EX II but not attached to the body

Thanks
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2007, 6:46 AM   #2
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
My question is, can i use the flash as a remote like i can do in Nikon.
Hints, Hints... Don't forget Sony/Minolta too!

-> Someone should really kick Canon's in their rear for this... :lol::-):G
I've brought this up several times before and all they need is a few lines of firmware code to modulate the built-in-flash to control the slaves, but NO - You have to go out and buy another Master flash for this (550/580EX) or an ST-E2
(The ST-E2 BTW costs more than the Sigma which can control the slaves just as well!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 7:27 AM   #3

wat a waste of a flash..i am honestly getting bugged with these kind of small things...the Sb series flash can do wonders when compared to the over priced canon flashes.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Look at their camera line ups..They have an inbuild intrevelometer too. I am just so bugged that i even feel i shud just keep the 500 and prob a 20D and get a D300. Its more camera for the 1700 one pays. ANGER:P
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:11 AM   #4
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
They have an inbuild intrevelometer too.
... and much more, for example:
o You can also fine tune the exposure (and not just the AF), just like a handheld meter
o The metering area is programmable (i.e. you get to pick the size of the area)
o Instead of a series of 4 meaningless # in picture styles - you get a color graph which you can pull into 4 directions and visually see the changes as you adjust
o When you adjust the brightness, instead of a bar on the rear LCD, a grayscale comes up so you can see what you're doing
o You get to name (and program) your camera to do Birding, Landscape, Portrait, or Sport and quickly recall them and none of this c.fn.xx thingy! (which you might need a manual for)
Oh -> ... and an on-line manual right on the rear LCD by pressing the "?"
Old Dec 21, 2007, 9:26 AM   #5

high time canon learned few things..

U forgot to add the weather seal(lot better than the 40D for sure..40D weather seal is absolutely farce)

If i am right they also provided the Wifi or wireless transfer without needing a 700$ equipment or something like that. the new Wireless transfer from canon is insanely costly. I would rather get a xti and with more than a standard kit.

Canon image is getting tarnised day after day. Look at their response for even the RG's findings. Even after the second test, they seem to totally ignore any problem or acknowledge a problem or atleast refute it.

Honestly i was attracted towards the D200 when it came out. But i picked a 5D for my needs. One thing stopped me from moving to nikon was the tele end lens's. And i had more than handful of lens. I am refreshing my gears and have sold quite a few. Now when i look at my gears i feel, i can move either ways and the more i am getting irritated about the canon careless ness in implementing some basic stuffs which the other manufacture is providing the more i am bending towards the other manufacturers.. I almost got the Oly and a bigma instead of the 500mm.

i atleast wanted to try the 500mm.

I wil probably wait till feb before taking any drastic steps. I use flash these days for some self innovative portraits. It atleast helps me kill 3 hrs on a boring day toc ome out with one completely different portrait. But with the flash requiring me to get another flash to even use a remote flash, it doesnt make sense to me.

I am now serioslly looking at the MEt Z series and hoping they have the wireless option.

Nikon is way ahead in camera technology implementation.

WIsh they had cheaper len's, availability and a commerse of lens and body sale like the canon does.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:30 AM   #6

met z-58 AF-1C looks like a greater option..Can be used in both commander and slave mode...

hmmm..interesting...
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:11 PM   #7
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
I am just so bugged that i even feel i shud just keep the 500 and prob a 20D and ...
I don't know if that's a good idea though...
-> They cripple the 580EX_II for anything before the 40D or MrkIII:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=25408037

Quote:
If i am right they also provided the Wifi or wireless transfer without needing a 700$ equipment or something like that. the new Wireless transfer from canon is insanely costly. I would rather get a xti and with more than a standard kit.
There's also the NEMA input for GPS and embedded Image Authentication, but theses features are probably too sophisticated for non-pro anyway, but it's there if anyone need it...
Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:59 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Hang on though - Isn't this being blown a bit out of proportion.

Nym - if you are wanting to do studio-style lighting, why not get yourself a basic studio lighting setup? They are not expensive at all - a starter setup costs roughly the same price as the 580EX. They usually pack up into a nice little bag that is pretty portable too.

Using a bunch of hotshoe flashes is not really the best solution is it?

The Sigma 500 DG SUPER is not IMO a solution to anything. The interface is impossibly bad unless you are already a flash expert and the manual is worse than useless. The interoperability with ETTLII is extremely dodgy too. Its reliability is much better on my 5D than it was on the 20D when it would frequently just refuse to work at all. The way it responds to diminishing battery charge is awful. It is not in my experience a product I would recommend.

Your real gripe is that the Canon flash system (and wifi, etc ) is that it is expensive not that it doesn't work.

Quote:
Nikon is way ahead in camera technology implementation. WIsh they had cheaper len's, availability and a commerse of lens and body sale like the canon does.
Well yeah. Nikon make better cameras (except for the 1-series Canon) and have a better flash system. Everyone pretty much agrees on that.

But Canon provide very high IQ and have a great lens selection and no supply problems. So maybe your answer is that the IQ of the Nikon is good enough and the camera is much better so go that way. But a lot of people think the opposite - they can live with the hassle of the Canon system because the images are so good considering how much the equipment costs. *shrug*
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:23 AM   #9
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
The Sigma 500 DG SUPER is not IMO a solution to anything.
Of course it is..

-> nymphetamine wanted to control his 580EX as a remote slave - which he can't with the current Canon two devices set up. You have two choices:
1. Get another 580EX (which is waste IMO since you really don't want the on camera flash to contribute anything in such a set-up)
2. Get an ST-E2

Well the ST-E2 alone costs as much as the Sigma - Why not get the EF 500DG Super instead, which is also a flash and not just a controller only?

The Sigma can control the remote flashes just like the ST-E2 does when its output is turned off (just like another 580EX)? That's how I've been using it with my 550EX on the 10D...
-> In fact as far as multiple heads go, is it true the more heads (remotes) you require, the more cost effective it is with the Sigma solution than the 550/580EX (or 420EX in term of flash power)?

Quote:
if you are wanting to do studio-style lighting, why not get yourself a basic studio lighting setup? They are not expensive at all - a starter setup costs roughly the same price as the 580EX. They usually pack up into a nice little bag that is pretty portable too.
Can't agree with you more here - That would be my recommendation as well

However, if you look at all the images that Nikon advertise boasting their wireless flash capability.
-> They are all taken outdoor and on location where lightstands and AC cords are unpractical, the in-the-water glacier shot come to mind.
Secondly unlike a "controlled" studio theses shots are taken in daylight fill (I believe sunset) where time is of essence to get the shot right in E-TTL automatic - With studio strobes a pro can probably do it too in the same settings, but more trying, and time consuming with a flashmeter probably... to catch the right light
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:31 AM   #10

But Canon provide very high IQ and have a great lens selection and no supply problems. So maybe your answer is that the IQ of the Nikon is good enough and the camera is much better so go that way. But a lot of people think the opposite - they can live with the hassle of the Canon system because the images are so good considering how much the equipment costs. *shrug*

Peripatetic,

I am a canon user like u are. I am just lamenting the few things that a pretty easy to implement in the high priced accessories that others are doing it at a relatively lower price. Its more of a lament against canon to just ignore the calls.

And its not just the studio lighting. If ur going on a trip outside its easy to carry two to three flashes and create a set up similar to studio. placing the flash closer to the subject sometime is easier than to use full power of the flash. Or its a personal choice for me to use the flash remotely to illuminate subjects in a specific manner which would be tough using the flash on board.

I have more than enuff canon stuff that it would take months to sell and shift to NIkon if thats what i wanted. At the end as i already mentioned its more of a lament against canon for ignoring some basic application in their products.

Yes this thread may sound total anti-canon, but i prefer to state that its anti-canon when it comes to failure to give the users some basic functions. Havnet they responded to the shouts all these years(though very late) from adding ISO on the view finder or givng a seperate ISO button, or even simple modification of using the SET button to enable mirror up.

Lot of things were implemented only after users madea deal out of it...i wouldnt mind a EX 580 II firmwire that enables the flash to be used remote.