Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:42 PM   #1

Is this a serious problem? What does it mean?

Thanks

Jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:00 PM   #2

Firs thing to do is ensure the lens and camera contacts are clean ... I gently use an eraser such as those on the end of a "stick" pen (or a pencil if no stick pen is available ... the stick pen eraser is a bit rougher). The few times this has occurred for me was with oxidized contacts on a non-Canon lens. Never had problems with my Canon lenses, though.

After that, well ... perhaps someone else has a suggestion ...
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 5:36 PM   #3

err 99 is generic error message that the canon software doesnt handle inside the camera

Simple reasons could be as one of the member suggested bad lens contacts or Bad CF cards(Try a new CF card) or bad batteries.

Try a different lens and clean the contact points in camera too.

Try a new CF card, Try a new battery

Serious reasons could be related to Shutter mechanism. I have had that problem. If the camera is within the warranty period the shutter assembly is usually replaced

Hope this helps.

Happy holidays
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 6:00 PM   #4

Thanks - I'm going to try these out after the turkey. I sure hope it is not my brand new 500 lens!

Jim
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:38 AM   #5
NHL

killdeer0007 wrote:
Quote:
I sure hope it is not my brand new 500 lens!
It's not the lens for sure, although some lenses may draw more power than others...

Like nymphetamine said, Err99 is a general fault and usually occurs with a "weak" battery. A freshly charged battery can still not provide enough "oomph" i.e. current when it is old hence the processor inside the camera encounters a general fault (equivalent of a blue PC screen)

-> Replacing the battery with a new one (or higher rating) usually solve the problem

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:31 PM   #6

Thanks NHL - I'll give it a try. My local store suggested to send it in for servicing. What do you think of upgrading to the 40D and keeping the 30D for backup?

Cheers

Jim
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:36 PM   #7

if u can afford u can definitely have two cameras :blah:

Its a definite upgrade to 40 D from the 30D. Atlesat better than 20D to 30D upgrades

Lot of refined features which u can get from the Review by steves.

But the new 40D is arond 1200, 400more and u cna get almost sparingly used 5D for 1600 these days. Check for the forums that have buy/sell options and u will be more than happy to have the 5D over the 40D. U can use the 30D for the tele end while 5D for everything else
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:38 PM   #8

I thought about the 5D but I was concerned about FPS since I will be after small birds and flight shots.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 3:05 PM   #9
NHL

killdeer0007 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks NHL - I'll give it a try. My local store suggested to send it in for servicing. What do you think of upgrading to the 40D and keeping the 30D for backup?
IMO the camera doesn't need servicing - Both my 10D and 1DMrkII got Err99 @ one time or another on certain batteries (usually the dying OEM battery that came with the camera)... I always get a higher capacity battery (i.e. higher mAh) as a replacement

I also shoot small birds with the 500mm but with the 1DMrkII; However, I decided get a D300 and a 50-500 to complement my Canon instead - The reason are manyfolds:
1. With the 40D, I'll be "downgrading" from my MrkII
2. Upgrading to a MrkIII for me doesn't make sense as a hobby $ wise
3. The D300 has the right feature set and closest to the Mrk series in capability
(plus I always want to add a D2xs with 2x crop capability to my camera collection
- Imagine to my delight an improved D2xs @ 1/2 the price!!!)
4. With the Bigma the D300 replaces the 100-400L or 120-300 f/2.8 zooms which I usually have to take with me on a day shoot with the 500mm
5. Because it's so much lighter I can leave the 500 behind (with my spouse) and chase after the bird if necessary...
-> This is all theory at the moment until my next birding trip in January! :lol::-):G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 3:53 PM   #10

like NHL said above...i was in the same cross roads...instead of putting extra money i just exchanged my 5D and mark II for a mark III and a 20D. For me it worked really well. I dont feel like downgrading there. Coz i feel mark III is close to Mark II and 5d mixed in both functional and quality of picture wise.

20D was a surprise add on to me for i didnt spend a dollar more than the exchange i made. I am currently hinking in a different line to NHl where i am attracted towards the 50-500 of olympus mount...heck that camrea when shot RAW produces terrific images as per reviews.

and i will have a super 100-1000mm IS lens very light and portable

But all this just a tentative plan. Coz the e510 in used market is gong dirt cheap and i can get this combo really cheap, cheaper than a 100-400 IS as an intermediate zoom alternative.

I wish there was a 50-500 in sony mount.

The other thoughts are also in similar lines to NHL. thoughts i would wait for few months before thinking abt the D300. I will use the D300 for all works except the reach related quality zoom of 500mm(yeah i will savour this lens for some time...its so dear to me now)

the new sigma 14-28 seems to kick all other wide angle lens's produced by either nikon themselves or canon to dirt...

It almost matches some quality CZ lens' s too.

ever wonder why L lens cost that much..its easy to sell them for a similar price when u want to try new stuffs ...long live the L lens's