Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:49 PM   #1

I have a newbie question about Canon Digital SLR cameras. My girlfriend wants a Digital SLR camera. We have always used Canon point and shoot and they are fantastic so we want to stay with the Canon brand. She was looking at both the Canon Rebel xTi and the Canon 40D. She wanted to but the 40D but the price is a bit more than double the xTi price. Since she is new to Digital SLR cameras I suggested the xTi (the kit with lens) as it is an entry level camera and a good starting point for entering the world of Digital SLR's. I hope that was a good recommendation. :-(

Also, I told her that I think that the lens for the xTi camera will work on the higher end Canon Digital SLR's. This way, if she likes lugging around a Digital SLR camera (i'll stick with my tiny, light, and portable point and shoot, thank you) in the future she can just buy a digital SLR body and keep using the same lens. This way she can save a few bucks on a better camera.

Since we have point and shoot cameras, we have plenty (a couple of 2GB and 1GB chips) of SD memory cards. Unfortunately the Rebel xTi only uses Compact Flash cards. What is their reasoning behind this?? Any way, can we use a Compact Flash adapter that will hold the SD cards we have? Is there any decrease in performance by doing this?

If and when we buy the camera are there any other extras, or accessories we should buy that are essential? Filters? Cleaning kits? Bags or cases? Please give me brands and model numbers of your recommendations so I can look up this stuff.

Any info will be appriciated

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

-paul
FiremanJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:52 AM   #2

Also, I told her that I think that the lens for the xTi camera will work on the higher end Canon Digital SLR's. This way, if she likes lugging around a Digital SLR camera (i'll stick with my tiny, light, and portable point and shoot, thank you) in the future she can just buy a digital SLR body and keep using the same lens

Firstly, the XTi is a great start up camera. Its more than a start up camera. So the decision is right.

Secondly ur statement on Xti and Digital SLR body is confusing. XTi is a digital SLR body. The crop factor is explained in this link. The XTI is a 1.6x crop factor camera.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...op-Factor.aspx

All XT series or the XXXD series and XXD series cameras are 1.6x crops

All 1D Mark XXX series cameras are 1.3X crop

And 5D and 1Ds Series cameras are Full frame or 1X Crop. (Viz standard 35mm dimension sensors)

EF-S lens are Specific to 1.6X crop cameras. Hence if u buy a Xti now and say 17-55 IS USM F2.8 EF-S lens, this lens will not fit the 1.3X crop or Full frame cameras.

EF- Lens's will fit all models of Canon DSLR's

For XTi- a EF-S les will mostly be better than the EF lens because the EF-S lens are custom made for 1.6X Crop cameras.

compact flash cards

I would recommend u to buy a CF card than buying an adaptor. I am not even sure if there is one. But these days the 2GB CF card from sandisk are going at 19dollars. U can pick on them for under 30dollars and that ould be more than enuff to store a couple of hundred pictures depending on the size.

Filters:

This is a personal choice. Many prefer filters to protect te front element or the front glass element of the lens. I use the lens cap and i am pretty careful about handling the lens. So i have never had a problem without filters.

But for specific effects like Polirizer filters, ND filters u can get the specific ones that u really need.

Hope this helps.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:35 PM   #3

First of all, thanks for taking the time to try to answer some of my questions.

OK, you provided some great info, but you also confused me a little bit.

Wow, the link you provided to Field Of View Crop Factor information is confusing. I have to really study this info to get a grasp. Remember, we have never used anything other than point and shoot.

Yes, I know that the Rebel xTi is an SLR like the 40D. I didn't explain myself correctly.

If I buy the Rebel xTi camera and in a year I want to upgrage, I will probably upgrade to the 40D (or whatever directly replaces this model).

If I decide to buy the Rebel xTi Kit camera that comes with a lens and if I buy an additional lens for this camera, can I expect to be able to use these lenses (the one that came with the Kit and an addaitional lens) with the 40D.

Or will I have to sell the Rebel xTi camera and any additional lenses I bought with it, and the buy a 40D Kit and new lenses.

If it is possible to use the lens that came with the xTi with the 40D? Even if it is possible to do this, would it be better to sell everything (the Rebel xTi body AND the lenses) and buy the 40D kit and all new lenses?

I think you explained that the EF-S lens that comes with the Rebel xTi will not work with higher end cameras. But you said that EF lenses will work with all Canon SLR cameras. So when it is time to buy a lens for the Rebel xTi, I should make sure it is an EF lens so I can use it for a better Canon camera, or should I buy the EF-S for the Rebel xTi and worry about selling everything and starting new with a better camera when that time comes?

Thanks for all your help! And Happy New Year!

-FiremanJersey
FiremanJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:04 PM   #4

If I decide to buy the Rebel xTi Kit camera that comes with a lens and if I buy an additional lens for this camera, can I expect to be able to use these lenses (the one that came with the Kit and an addaitional lens) with the 40D.

Yes. U kit lens can be used with the 40D or an upgrade to this SERIES of camera. Both 40D and Xti have same 1.6X crop factor. So anylens that works on the Xti will work on the 40D

I think you explained that the EF-S lens that comes with the Rebel xTi will not work with higher end cameras. But you said that EF lenses will work with all Canon SLR cameras. So when it is time to buy a lens for the Rebel xTi, I should make sure it is an EF lens so I can use it for a better Canon camera, or should I buy the EF-S for the Rebel xTi and worry about selling everything and starting new with a better camera when that time comes?

An EF lens will work on any CANON DSLR. But if ur almost sure you wont be moving out of the 40D Series cameras an EF-S lens would suffice ur needs.

It all depends. Currently for the XTI you would be better of with the EF-S lens's

Also not to confuse u, but if u can wait till this months end, you may hear an update to the XTi camera. But thats just a speculation. If u can wait, i would ask u to wait till this month end or early Feb to see if canon has any new product.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:22 AM   #5

I would only add that you would be wise to get the 17~85 IS as your kit lens, even if you have to wait for the order to come in. I bought that lens for $600, and I'm glad I did. It's cheaper with a camera purchase, and it's my most used lens of the 7 that I own. Also, once you have the camera, if you are tempted to any of the "superzooms", like those in the 18~200mm range, find a store that will let you take that lens outside and shoot some samples. Look closely, and keep in mind that you get exactly what you pay for.
sparrowminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:09 AM   #6

And I would recommend you go with the XTi and get the body only, then buy the 18-55 IS (image stabilized) kit lens which is a really good lens. I just got one and love it, it's only $80 more than if you bought the XTi with the normal kit lens. See my review here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=65

As to the memory cards, just like the others said, the CF cards are so cheap now, go spend the $20 on one of them and save the hassle with adapters...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote