Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:54 PM   #1

Happy New Year to all. New member to the Canon User group. Coming over from the Fuji users group. I just received the Canon 40D and I know that I can see the histogram during play back. But I have read that the 40D also have a live histogram, now will this only show when you are in the Live view mode or can I get a live histogram with going to live view. Othen then that this camera is a dream.

Thanks for any advise
dbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2007, 3:35 PM   #2

CF IV–16: Live view exposure simulation

16-0 — None: LCD monitor adjusts its own brightness, regardless of exposure settings

16-1 — Live View monitor simulates actual exposure, based on camera settings

Normally, the Live View function allows the LCD monitor to display an accurate, useable view of a subject, even in dim lighting conditions and regardless of how the actual finished exposure may turn out. Activating C.Fn IV-16-1 does two things: it changes the LCD's behavior to mimic the actual appearance of a final exposure, taking into account the ISO, aperture and shutter speed in use, and if the INFO button is pressed twice, you can get a live Histogram view which updates as the scene changes — before any images are taken! Studio strobe shooters should probably not use this settings, since the Live View exposure simulation can only take into account ambient light, and a very dark view will result indoors if low ISOs and small apertures (appropriate for strobes) are used

I use a mark III. I am guessing this is exactly the same with respect to 40D. When u enable the view monitor to simulate the actual exposure u can use the histogram.

This is a very good feature to recompose image as well as start making use of the EXPOSURE COMPENSATION button:G

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 7:52 PM   #3
NHL

FYI: http://www.chaosreigns.com/journal/190296.html
-> Nikon left this feature out on the D300!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the help, I did get the histogram to work Getting ready to enter my next question about a Metz Flash next :?
dbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:07 PM   #5
NHL

Just got a Metz 58AF-1 for my D300 and it's an amazing piece of engineering work!
-> Finally some sensible audible feedbacks which seems to be missing from my EX series...
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:34 AM   #6

woud be happy to hear how it works with canon too.i am sure nikon cameras have more functional settings with respect to a flash than a canon. Does the Metz have a wireless option.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:39 AM   #7
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
woud be happy to hear how it works with canon too.i am sure nikon cameras have more functional settings with respect to a flash than a canon.
It should the work the same on the Canon as this is a function of the flash and not the camera
http://www.metz.de/en/unternehmen/pr...er.89-185.html

You can download the manual (page 102) for the Canon
This flash will add the Nikon's audible functions to the Canon's which never had it
No need to watch the viewfinder:
-> One short beep the flash is ready
-> One long beep the exposure is OK
-> Multiple beeps the exposure is OK but need to wait 1s before next exposure for the flash to recharge

Unlike the EF-500DG Super this flash can take on external HV pack, but like the Sigma, the 58 AF-1 manual is very short and because the flash has lot more features than an EX, it's not recommended for beginners...
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:48 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Does the Metz have a wireless option.
Yes just like the Sigma's - However it's much easier to set this up on a D300 as you can do this from the camera UI for both Master and all Slave groups (with their respective ratio/compensation)

-> On the Canon you have to do it from the rear flash tiny LCD icons, and only by ratio
... since the exposure compensation is only available for Group C

Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:02 AM   #9

some one from canon..please read these forums :blah:

Canon- my personal response to the flash options u provide is :P (UN-:?)