Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:09 PM   #1

Again I would like to thank the two members that help me with the histogram issue. Now here is my next question. I have a Metz 45 CT-1 Flash Gun. I would like to know if I can use this by connectin it to the camera PC connection with doing any damage..
dbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:11 PM   #2
NHL

No problem...
-> as I have a 45 CT-5 working on both my 10D and MrkII

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:02 PM   #3

OK thanks I will give it a shot this weekend as soon as I find that PC cord. Now where did I put that #$#@$ cord
dbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:08 PM   #4
NHL

If not: :-)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_PC_Cord.html
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:04 AM   #5

I would like to ask a question which sort of goes along with this theme. I have a Metz 45-CT4. My Rebel XTi doesn't have a PC connection. I do however have the old SCA 311 Canon adapter which worked on my EOS 5 and EOS 10. Would this adapter trigger the flash for manual shooting or is there a chance it could damage something? If so, would one of those hotshoe to PC adapters work?
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:17 PM   #6
NHL

Michi wrote:
Quote:
I would like to ask a question which sort of goes along with this theme. I have a Metz 45-CT4. My Rebel XTi doesn't have a PC connection. I do however have the old SCA 311 Canon adapter which worked on my EOS 5 and EOS 10. Would this adapter trigger the flash for manual shooting or is there a chance it could damage something?
If I remember correctly the SCA-311 only transfer the shutter speed and aperture to the camera so if you set your camera on manual it would ignore theses command from the flash - You can always tape the two pins on the rear of the flash shoe to disable this feature. The center large ISO pin is the only one the camera needs to fire the flash

Quote:
If so, would one of those hotshoe to PC adapters work?
Yes - with the above PC cord: http://www.adorama.com/WNSSPC.html

Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:07 PM   #7

Thanks, I didn't even think about the option of taping them. Good idea. Maybe I'll just open it up and physically remove the pins. It's not like I'll be using my poor old EOS 5 and 10 again...

Hm, I'm getting kind of excited to be using the old Metz again, what an awesome flash that is! I wonder how the built in flash sensor compares to the whole E-TTL II and my 580EXII system. I certainly miss having the built in secondary flash. Every decent flash should have one in my opinion.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:42 AM   #8
NHL

Michi wrote:
Quote:
I wonder how the built in flash sensor compares to the whole E-TTL II and my 580EXII system.
IMO indoor the old built-in sensor sensor works great! it's much more predictable than the E-TTL II.... I'm at a point where when in doubt I always use the FEL lock to guarantee my exposure with the 580EX

-> Outdoor and fill however you need the E-TTL to get an accurate metering

Quote:
I certainly miss having the built in secondary flash. Every decent flash should have one in my opinion.
This why I got a Metz 58AF-1 for my D300 :-):lol::G

It has the same GN as the 580EX, but dual head instead - The nice thing about this flash is I believe it also factors in the ambient light when bounced with its own sensor (on top of the flash, and not the front sensor) and recombined it with the camera own TTL metering

Also I've found that the audible feedbacks on the Metz quite nifty and useful and like the 550/580EX this flash also support HV pack: http://www.metz.de/en/unternehmen/pr...er.89-185.html

BTW the secondary flash is now also adjustable unlike 45 series where you have to install/remove the front shade
Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:57 PM   #9

So you are happy with your Metz 58AF-1? I saw a lot of so-so reviews which scared me off, and I ended up getting the 580EXII instead.

When you say the secondary flash is adjustable, what do you mean by that, as in the output power?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:13 AM   #10
NHL

Michi wrote:
Quote:
So you are happy with your Metz 58AF-1? I saw a lot of so-so reviews which scared me off, and I ended up getting the 580EXII instead.
Yeap - quite happy as I already got the 580EX'es, I just want to try something else...

Quote:
When you say the secondary flash is adjustable, what do you mean by that, as in the output power?
Correct - up to 3 stops independently from the main head