Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:45 PM   #11

"That's the major problem right there. 33mm at a subject 200 feet away. You'd want about 500mm for that shot."

I agree that 33mm is too short of a focal length for shooting a bird a two hundred feet away. It's just that I was shooting a bench (landscape shot) when my son yelled that a bird was coming towards us. Hey those birdsmove faster than think they do when trying to shoot one. As to using a 500mm lens, that may be a while as the camera came with a 28-135mm lens and I needto save a bitbefore buying my next two lenses. Looking at 17-85mm and a 70-300mm lenses both IS as I'm not as steady as I once was, too much StarBucksI think.:G

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 3:52 PM   #12

Also AI-servo and burst mode goes hand in hand

I agree...point of burst mode is to make use of the AI-Servo (And vice-versa)hoping to have as many sharp shots as possible.

Heck, there are people that use manual focus and get good results - that doesn't mean I'd recommend it

In fact, i used my 5D and 120-300 almost always in manual mode for BIF. I had better success rate compared to using the same combo in AI-Servo. And it took a bit of time to get used to the twisting of focussing barrel...all it required was 1-5mm of twist in either direction.

Once i got the mark II, i started to experiment with the AI-servo and Burst rates. It took some real practice and "DEFINITE FRUSTRATION" to learn the different combinations of the AF system. But once understood focussing with Ai-Servo was easier ad knowing 8frames / second will def yield atleast 50% success rate was more than enough.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 4:28 PM   #13
NHL

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Looking at 17-85mm and a 70-300mm lenses both IS as I'm not as steady as I once was, too much StarBucksI think.:G
FYI - IS is not going to help you for BIF and 300mm is still too short. You'll need a faster lens for higher shutter speed (to freeze the action), and not a slower lens with IS
-> Your $ is better spent on the Sigma 100-300 f/4 and 1.4x for 420mm at least... The 70-300mm won't take a 1.4x and if it does (by fooling it) it'll be really slow to AF!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:11 PM   #14

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Looking at 17-85mm and a 70-300mm lenses both IS as I'm not as steady as I once was, too much StarBucksI think.:G
FYI - IS is not going to help you for BIF and 300mm is still too short. You'll need a faster lens for higher shutter speed (to freeze the action), and not a slower lens with IS
-> Your $ is better spent on the Sigma 100-300 f/4 and 1.4x for 420mm at least... The 70-300mm won't take a 1.4x and if it does (by fooling it) it'll be really slow to AF!

Well I did say looking:?Gand seeing as I'm not planning on buying for about 5 months (birthday in May) there is time to ask questions and even rent some lenses to try out first.

Adding a 1.4x adapter to the lens, won't that slow the lens down by about a stop and a half? Putting me back to a slower shutter speed again, of course the sun always shines here in CA so maybe that won't be a problem.:lol:

Attached is the original uncropped version of the BIF. BTW it took me a few minutes to figure out what BIF stood for.

As always thanks for all the tips,

Craig

Attached Images

Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:53 PM   #15
NHL

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Adding a 1.4x adapter to the lens, won't that slow the lens down by about a stop and a half? Putting me back to a slower shutter speed again...
Sure a 1.4x teleconverter will reduce the lens by 1-stop so the 100-300 f/4 will become a 140-420 f/5.6, but its AF remains still relatively fast:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26174218

However a 70-300 f/5.6 IS will become a 120-420 @ f/8 which is a stop slower than the Sigma but you'll loose the AF then, and if you fake the reported f-stop with a generic TC (or tape the lens pin) the AF is still slower as it'll hunt since the camera is not designed to focus @ f/8...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=65
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 1:26 AM   #16

NHL, thanks for the link to showing what a 1.4x adapter can do added to a lens.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 1:41 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Seeing the uncropped shot all becomes clear.

The picture is actually of decent sharpness considering the shutter speed. You just cropped in too far. :-)

My new birding lens is my 50L (hahahahahaha) - I shall start another thread - there is a funny story to go with it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:05 AM   #18

I'll keep a eye open for that 50L thread.:G