Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:32 PM   #1

Hi

I am new to SLR so I hope you can help. I am wanting an SLR to take photos of my kids playing hockey. I was looking for an XTi with a Sigma 50-150 2.8, but then heard about the possible need for higher ISO than the XTi offers. Would the higher ISO option on the 20D make it a better choice than the XTi? Would I be very disappointed with the performance of the XTi with the lower ISO?Should I wait and save up enough cash for a 30D or 40D? I was wanting to spend as little as possible but don't want to screw myself. Is the lack of dust cleaning on the 20D a major issue?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks very much for your time.

Carson
Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:08 PM   #2

There are pros/cons to both.

First of all there is a definite difference in build quality / ergonomics between the two. The XTi is smaller and lighter and more plastic - the 20d is larger, heavier and more sturdy.

Both cameras have the same focus system which is important as the focus system is critical to a sports shooter.

The Xti has a larger LCD which is nice, but the 20d has ISO 3200 and 5fps (vs. 3).

The XTi has 10mp vs 8.2 for the 20d but for sports use this is minor.

If the 20d were new I would still choose it over the XTi.

But the 40d is a big step up the food chain - improved focus system and all 9 focus points are cross-type points vs. 20d and XTi where only center point is cross type.

I shot with the 20d for 3 years and it made me a lot of money so it's agreat camera. I personally really dislike the build quality and size of the XTi but others consider it a plus.

I will also point out though that with a 2.8 lens it is very likely you'll need ISOs of higher than 1600. Below the collegiate level, most rinks aren't bright enough for ISO 1600 and 2.8 lenses. So if you do decide to go with the XTi I would suggest going with prime lenses - maybe 100mm 2.0

If it were me I would suggest saving a little longer and getting the 40d since it's such an improvement over the 20d (as far as sports shooting is concerned). But between a new 20d and a new XTi I would personally choose the 20d.

If the 20d IS NOT NEW then I would be concerned. You're talking about a potentially 4 year old camera that can have a lot of wear and tear on it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:11 PM   #3

by the way - on dust cleaning. I never found cleaning the sensor to be a major issue. The dust cleaning mechanism gets rid of dust with the same "cling factor" of dust a blower will get rid of. For example, I have the 1dMkIII and I've already had to clean the sensor once because the dust cleaning didn't get rid of a pesky spot. For what it's worth I've wetc cleaned my sensors about twice a year. It takes about 15 minutes to do.

Given that the XTis dust removal is the same as the mkIIIs I would say it aint worth a whole lot. A rocket blower will do just as well.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:00 AM   #4

Hi

Thanks for your info. I was looking at a used 20d but hadn't thought that most of these are likely very USED. I'll do some more thinking and counting of coins.

Thanks again

Carson
Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:50 AM   #5

I thought the XTi has the autofocus system of the 30D and is slightly better than the 20D?

And about using ISO at or above 1600, neither camera will give you results that you will enjoy. I don't think you should use that as a decision making factor for picking either camera.

Did you know that the 30D body is currently on sale at B&H for $799? Just thought I would throw that out there. Then again, the XTi body is available for $530 on Amazon and then you have lots of money left for a good lens and a grip and other fun stuff.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote