Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:59 PM   #1

I can seem to open the instruction manuals that came on the disk with the camera. All I get each time I try to open the PDF files is; Adobe PSE-4 program and it ways a password. I already own a copy of PSE-4 which is loaded on the computer. Try looking on the Canon site for help and downloaded the manuals from the site but the same thing happen when I tried to open the downloads.How do you get into the manuals, so I can learn how to do RAW?

Thanks,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2

You need open the instruction manual with Adobe Reader. The PDF file is password protected so that you can't edit them.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:19 AM   #3

dr_spock,

That worked, thanks.

I already had Adobe Reader 7.0 loaded on the computer and usually it opens PDF files automatically. Not sure why the Reader didn't work automatically or why I didn't think to try it manually.

Maybe now I can figure out how to download RAW files from the camera and open them once on the computer. Tried eralier today with no luck, that's why I was trying to open the PDF manual.

Thanks again,

Craig
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:55 PM   #4

If by chance you are using a Mac and downloading to iPhoto from your camera, go to iPhoto preferences>advanced and check the box "use RAW files with external editor". Then your RAW photos will open in the RAW editor when you edit it PSE-4.

You also might need to download the most recent version of Adobe camera raw that is compatible with a 40D. If you need it you can google 'adobe camera raw' find the download site.

Drew
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:08 PM   #5

Drew,

Thanks for the tip,using a PC but will go and Google for updates as I'm still haven't been able to open a RAW file yet.

Thanks,

Craig
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:14 PM   #6

That might be the problem .... let us know if it works!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:10 PM   #7

Well I can now open RAW files, not sure why as I didn't do anything. Last night after downloading the RAW files (four pictures) all I could see was a file (logo) but couldn't view the actual picture. Today when I open the Canon picture Zoom Browser the four picture were there (looking good too). This of course happen while I was trying to show the wife what was going wrong. Please don't tell me that it takes over 12 hours for the computer to process a RAW file for viewing.

Of course now that I have the RAW working, I can see that there is a lot of reading ahead before I understand how to work with RAW files.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:14 PM   #8

I'm glad you have it operational! There are plenty of resources on the web to assist you with the work flow and to explain the different settings.

I ordered a 40D yesterday from B&H and can't wait for it to arrive!

Drew
Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:26 PM   #9

So far the 40D seems to be a good camera, got mine for Christmas and took me a four days before I open the box. Wasn't sure at first if I was gong to keep the 40D or go with the Sony A700. The only thnig I see that the camera is missing, is the second tripod locking hole. The little hole just in front of the tripod screw mount, tilted my tripod head vertical the other day and the camera rotated (real fast) down making me fear that it was going to fall off the tripod.