Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 10, 2003, 5:07 AM   #11
NHL

... You guys are some tough cookies!

It is consistent alright (and I've verified it). Put the camera on a tripod and test the AF, it'll pick the same AF area under the same circumstances everytime. That's consistent to me

The fact of the matter is the what you "think" it should focus on and what it "thinks" doesn't agree. :lol: :lol: :lol: The above image is a perfect example where it focuses between the legs (which is bad), but if it was the opposite, ie a branch with a bird standing on it (a good thing), and another poster here might be blessed by that it didn't focus on the background instead!

One can always find situations that can fool any camera regardless of cost, ditto with the metering system! After all if a software program is that smart who need the Photographer anymore? BTW Canon did attempt at 'eye-focus' on their Elan 'e' (and calibrating the camera to each user's eyeball), I wonder why they stopped that? :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:24 AM   #12

NHL,

Tough cookies? Maybe. Engineering types, for sure :-)

Consistency is good. As I said before, discovering how the camera works is part of the fun. Just to be sure I take every shot two or three times, thus I did get a good shot of the girl.

An obvious improvement to the viewfinder would be to show the distance to the focussed object. That would have alerted me in this case that the AF system was 'slightly' off :-)

In any case, I absolutely truly love my 10D, and now my lens setup. Wish I had more time to go out and take pictures. I just don't love the price I had to pay for all this :-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 9:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Consistency is good. As I said before, discovering how the camera works is part of the fun.
It's with inconsistency where the real fun lays--it keeps you sharp and on your toes when you have to anticipate the random feints and dodges the camera-beast casts your way.

R.W.E. wrote-- "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2003, 7:17 AM   #14
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
An obvious improvement to the viewfinder would be to show the distance to the focussed object. That would have alerted me in this case that the AF system was 'slightly' off :-)
... Here's another engineering input: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They can highlight the areas in focus too (selectable by the CF function) just like in playback for the overexposed areas! Obviously this'll work best for cameras with EVF that have a WYSIWYG mode, but @ least on instant replay it should be quicker than all this zooming-in/zooming-out business!

Hopefully some manufacturers will pick up on this or other differentiating selling feature...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2003, 8:30 PM   #15

This diagram posted by Chuck Westfall of Canon shows the true AF coverage of the 10D sensors ... really something that should have been clearly marked in the viewfinder, or at the very least included in the manual:

http://www.pbase.com/image/18920257/large

pete
magicpixel is offline   Reply With Quote