Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:28 PM   #1

I've been using point-and-shoot digicams for years now and would like to step up an SLR, but I don't want to spend over $800 (yet) and was looking at Canon's digital Rebel XTi. Canon seems to refresh their lineup often so I was wondering if there has been any news or rumors of a successor to the XTi? As nice as it is, I'd like to buy something with more current technology like image stabilization, SD card support and a Digic III processor. I'm a complete SLR newbie so maybe all that stuff doesn't matter. What do you guys think? Is Canon about due to announce something new?
bchreng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:32 PM   #2

current rumours suggest a 5D mark II and an upgrade to XTi

As nice as it is, I'd like to buy something with more current technology like image stabilization, SD card support and a Digic III processor

I wouldnt bet on IS from Canon yet. Unless Nikon drives it Canon will stay content without the body IS.

THe New XT series could pose a Digic III, 12MP mostly,iso 3200, live view, dust protection/cleaning, 3" LCD, may be 11 point AF as in 40D.

Mostly taken frm 40D and Mark III but still showing a big difference between them.

5fps could be a possibility.

But this is my guess. Pure Guess
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:34 PM   #3

I am thinking of upgrading from original rebel to xti but have been holding off until after PMA at the end of this month (and closely watching news from CES in the meantime!). Do you think that is long enough to wait for the rumors to bear out or will Photokina in September be the key? That, and I keep looking at the 40D and wondering if it is worth 100% more cost. Any thoughts on that too?
PhotoPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:45 PM   #4

Well, it's certainly worth a wait until PMA to see what they're going to come out with. As mentioned, both the 5d and XTi are the last remaining models to be upgraded (assuming Canon drops the XT ). The cycle is typically 18-24 months and the XTi came out in Aug '06 so it's possible an announcement will come out at PMA.

Whether you should get the 40d instead depends on whether you think it's worth the extra money. Will you use the added features? Do you prefer the ergonomics and build (that's a very personal thing - some people like the heavier metal camera and some like the smaller lighter xti)?

Back to the OP though:

1. You aint gonna get IS in the body. Just not going to happen. Debated ad nauseum on forums, but in the end there is no reason for canon to give us this feature.

2. Not likely to get SD support. 40d doesn't have it. MkIIIs have itbut that's because they have 2 card slots. I doubt Canon would put two slots on their smallest body.

3. Digic III - yep, you'll get that.

4. Anything else - who knows.

but if I were buying now I would definitely wait to see what is around the corner given the XTi is 18 months old and PMA is in 3 weeks.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick post. I appreciate your thoughts. I am definately patient enough to wait until PMA, just not sure I can hold out until Photokina. I am having a hard time discerning the key added features of the 40D (other than 6 v. 3fps) - am I missing something major. I enjoy taking pictures of birds and other wildlife as well as travel and landscape stuff. I have started to think maybe my money is better spent on better glass. Do you think the rebel line is up to the good glass? As to ergonomics, I handled both side by side and did notice the 40D was far more substantial - a benefit for durability butas a smaller person, the xti may be better.
PhotoPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:03 PM   #6
NHL

If you want to stay with SD cards from you P/S then Nikon has a family of dSLRs that will take them (including the D80)... Personally I prefer CF, because my whole family can't share them
-> That way I can keep the digital films to myself :-):lol::G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:01 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies guys. I love Canon's Powershot SD cameras and am set on buying a Canon-brand SLR. Looks like I'll have to invest in a CF card when I buy the camera. I can't wait to see what Canon has in store for us at the PMA!
bchreng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:49 PM   #8

You could try one of those SD card to CF card adapter they sell on e-Bay. No idea how well they perform. Any way memory cards are cheap now compared to just two years ago.

I think the new camera will come with the IS version of the 18-55mm kit lens. Maybe it will have spot metering too.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:44 AM   #9

My take is that new versions of the 5D and 40D will come before the "450". Already, a good number of news services have adopted the XTi over the 40D, as have many people like me, who understand that IQ is identical. I expect to see a replacement for the 5D at PMA, and a long overdue S-90, with most of the G-9 adapted to the clamshell configuration. Already, the feature set of the XTi is close enough to that of the 40D. An improvement; even as slight as live view, would only further eclipse 40D sales.
For those of us who know that the XTi is already capable of 11 x 17" prints that rival chemically processed 6 x 4.5 cm. film, the real question is "how much more is there to want?" Nothing else in the same price range comes close to the XTi for IQ, and only the 40D and Mk. III beat it in the 10 Mp. category. If you shoot RAW and know a bit about PP, there is NO 10 Mp. camera on earth that surpasses the XTi for IQ. Why would Canon mess with that?
sparrowminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:27 AM   #10

sparrowminded wrote:
Quote:
Already, a good number of news services have adopted the XTi over the 40D,
Don't get me wrong - I think the XTi is a great camera. But most competant news services are using 1-series bodies not XTis. Build quality and weather sealing are important - as are frame rates, focus speeds and frames per second. The XTi is a great camera but don't confuse having 10mp and great IQ with being a professional camera. There's more to it than that.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote