Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:27 PM   #1

Pronghorn - Antilocapra americana

Entirely unique on this planet, the Pronghorn's scientific name, Antilocapra americana, means "American antelope goat." But the deer-like Pronghorn is neither antelope nor goat -- it is the sole surviving member of an ancient family dating back 20 million years.
The Pronghorn is the only animal in the world with branched horns (not antlers) and the only animal in the world to shed its horns, as if they were antlers. The Pronghorn, like sheep and goats, has a gall bladder, and like giraffes, lacks dewclaws. If that weren't enough, the Pronghorn is the fastest animal in the western hemisphere, running in 20-foot bounds at up to 60 miles per hour. Unlike the Cheetah, speedburner of the African plains, the Pronghorn can run for hours at quite a fast pace. They are very curious animals and you can use this to your advantage to get a few photo opportunities.

Where I found them with a close up.

A few from the herd.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2008, 4:17 PM   #2

Roger, thanks for the lesson on Pronghorns, it was very insteresting information. Where did you find theses Pronghorns? As I live in what is called Antelope Valley and the background in your pictures looked a lot like my area. Though I have never seen a Antelope or any other animals here, except for Jack Rabbits.

Great shots again as always.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:22 AM   #3

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Roger, thanks for the lesson on Pronghorns, ot was very insteresting information. Where did you find theses Pronghorns? As I live in what is called Antelope Valley and the background in your pictures looked a lot like my area. Though I have never seen a Antelope or any other animals here, except for Jack Rabbits.

Great shots again as always.
Between Calahan & Colorado Springs in Colorado. Thanks for the nice comment.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote