Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:05 PM   #1

Hey I was hunting around on ebay and I was lookinginto a BG-E3 mostly for extra shoot time and the vertical shutter control.

I found these :

Link Delight ProBattery Grip

and

HKSupplies Battery Grip

Now I havent really been that deep into this, and I have start shooting cars and racing events again and I am looking into some new bits for the old Rebel XT / EOS 350D

I am on a budget but I am wondering if anyone has come up with any issues with these or like products ?

-Robert
RobAGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:07 PM   #2

I got one of the non-canon battery grips from ebay. Works as advertised. I find myself taking more vertical pictures now that i have the vertical shutter release. Makes that tiny xti a little easier to hold as well. Although I haven't used it, the ability to drop in 6AA's when you dont' have a charged battery seems convenient.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:19 PM   #3

Cool, which one did you get ?

How would you say teh quality is ? and how much do you use it ?

-Robert
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:27 PM   #4

I'm glad you made this post. I always wanted a intervalometer for my XT/XTi. When I clicked on the links you provided I saw some no-name digital timer/intervalometer for about $40 on Ebay. I'm going to buy it ASAP. I love it when I stumble upon stuff like this !
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:13 PM   #5

:bump:

Still hoping for some answers

-R
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:28 AM   #6

Wish I could help you. I have two friends who have this grip from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Battery...872&sr=8-4

And they haven't had a problem with it in the roughly 6 months they used it. I played with it, and it's quite nice, a little cheaper build than the Canon I have, but hey, it's also half the price.

Seeing that the Amazon grip is about the same as the links you provided, why not go with that one? You can also get it for $10 more with 2 batteries:

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Grip-Ve...011&sr=8-2

Go ahead and read the reviews (lot's of them there). The grip has four stars and a little bit more on the one with batteries...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:04 AM   #7

I purchased the Opteka Grip from Amazon for my XTi and just fell in love with "feel" of the camera overall. Having the ability to go portrait without contorting my hand is great.

You will find some posts about the Opteka (Or any non-Canon) grip breaking after short use. It seems the most common issue is with the upper plate screws breaking their mounts internally. This causes the grip to lose electrical contact with the XTi and results in camera off, camera on. Not a very pleasant experience.

What you will NOT find is an explanation as to what causes this. Here is what I determined:

If you mount the camera on a tripod with a "heavy" lens (70-300mm IS in my case) the front weighting puts a strain on those tiny screws and the uneven load breaks the forward screws. Really heavy lenses (70-200mm F2.8 IS) that have the tripod collars avoid this issue.

I would be interested to see if the Canon brand grips use metal threads in the body for added strength while the off brands just use the molded plastic body for screw attachment.

This happened on my first grip and I sent it back for a replacement. I have not had a problem with the second one now that I know what to avoid.
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:22 PM   #8

Riktar - Thanks very much for the insight on that, right now I dont have any heavy lenes so I doubt that should be a probelm for me.

Thanks

-Robert
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:32 PM   #9

After my encounter with the whole tripod mounting issue: I am nervous enough about the replacement that I don't mount ANY lens beyond the 18-55mm kit lens or the 50mm f1.8 on a tripod. So even the 28-135mm IS or the 17-55mm F2.8 IS get attached in handheld mode only.

And you are more than welcome.
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:24 PM   #10

Sorry about the late response, been away from the boards for a bit. I believe mine is the Opteka as well. got it on ebay. It didn't come with batteries, but for another 10 bucks, I got two batteries.

The grip works with either one or two batteries in it, which is nice. I've got a 100-400 that is actually pretty comfortable to handhold now that I have the grip.

The shutter button is a little mushy as reviews have said. I'm not sure how it compares to the canon, though.

The only thing I don't like is that if the camera is asleep, you you have to hit the camera's shutter button to wake it up. The grip's shutter button doesn't. Again, not sure if the canon's does or not.

All in all, one of the better purchases I believe.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote