Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:32 PM   #11
djb

Well Craig, I'm stumped!!! When i get home from work tonight, i'll try a few things with my 40d and see if it does something similar. If not, I think you may possibly have a defective camera. Ec and FEC kinda work hand in hand so, it doesn't surprise me that FEC doesn't seem to work.

dennis

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:44 PM   #12
NHL

The EC values only shows up on the top LCD external marker...
The viewfinder -2..-1..v..+1..+2 EV scale always indicates the current exposure (so you can adjust it without removing your eye from the finder)!
-> The [+/-] indicator in the viewfinder tells you that the EC in ON :idea:
(i.e. when an exposure is correct, it is offset by the amount dial-in on the top LCD panel by whatever amount, or if you center on the EV scale your exposure is off by whatever ammount you have dial-in EC on the top LCD)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:58 PM   #13

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The EC values only shows up on the top LCD external marker...
The viewfinder -2..-1..v..+1..+2 scale always indicates the current exposure (so you can adjust it)!
-> The [+/-] indicator in the viewfinder tells you that the EC in ON :idea:
Mine doesn't, the top LCD shows what I have move/set the EC to butshows 0 when taking shots.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:00 AM   #14
djb

NHL, not sure wg=hat you are trying to say but, on my 40d both the top lcd and the viewfinder show exactly the same so, I can either look thriugh the viewfinder and adjust ec or I can look at the top lcd and adjust it.

dennis
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:11 AM   #15
djb

NHL. sorry I got the 1st part but, the +/- with the lightning bolt (if that's what you are referring to) is to indicate you have a non-zero FEC which when using flash will override the camera's EC setting. was this what you were trying to convey?

dennis
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:39 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Sounds like you are trying to do it properly but your camera ain't working right.

Maybe post a video to youtube and link to it. We could say whether it works like ours. Or just take it in to a store.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:22 AM   #17
NHL

djb wrote:
Quote:
NHL, not sure wg=hat you are trying to say but, on my 40d both the top lcd and the viewfinder show exactly the same so, I can either look thriugh the viewfinder and adjust ec or I can look at the top lcd and adjust it.
-> My mistake... :?

The 1DMrkII (and my D300) operate slighly differently: i.e. when you adjust the EC dial, both the viewfinder and external LCD show the changes; However the external LCD stays contant with the EC change while the viewfinder will show the current exposure there after in real-time. For example if you cover the lens with your hand, the EV value in the viewfinder will vary accordingly toward the negative scale

On an xxD camera it's different: the external LCD and the internal EV scale stay constant with the EC change

Quote:
NHL. sorry I got the 1st part but, the +/- with the lightning bolt (if that's what you are referring to) is to indicate you have a non-zero FEC which when using flash will override the camera's EC setting. was this what you were trying to convey?
Again I did not check with my 10D first:
The [+/-] icon indicates the EC is ON and not the lighning bolt which indicates the flash
-> On the 1DMrkII I have a second EV scale for flash FEC which is separate from the 1st ambient scale - Sorry for the confusion...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:24 AM   #18

Do one thing. Reset all settings to factory defaults. Remove and reload the battery.(kind of like rebooting)

Check if the EC works.

Else i feel the camera may have a small problem with the software.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:54 PM   #19

Finally figured out the Exposure Compensation setting and it only cost me $300.00 to find out what I was doing wrong. In order to set the Exposure Compensation the shutter must be held half way down or else it doesn't take. The manual says to hold the shutter half way down or make your adjustments within 6 seconds. The within 6 seconds does not work for setting Ev compensation, that method will work for setting the Flash Compensation.

Oh, the reason for saying it cost $300.00 to find this information outis while at the camera store I also purchased a EFS USM IS 17-80 mm lens with lens hood and case. :G

Thanks to all for the help,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:13 PM   #20
djb

Craig, glad you got the problem settled but, if I understand you correctly, I will disagree that you need to hold the shutter button half way while adjusting EC. All you need to do is just hold it down half way that it engages autofocus and then you can let off and set EC within 6 seconds. That's how all my XXD cameras work. including the 40D. if it doesn't work by the 6 second rule I would say it's not working properly. But, if it works the way you say it does for you, then, it shouldn't be a problem.

dennis