Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:00 PM   #1

After setting the Exposure Compensation to a levelon the 40D to a desired setting. Should you be able to the that setting change on the scale -2'''''0'''''''+2on the LCD or in the view finder while setting up (shutter half pressed) your shot.

I can't seem to get this (Exposure Compensation) setting figured out, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:10 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Set your camera to the "advanced" position, i.e. the one after "On".
____
Off - On - /

Then half press the shutter and rotate the back dial.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:14 PM   #3

Make sure the ON button is all the way up and not in the intermediate position. functionality.

Thedefault functionality of the control wheel or back wheel is for exposure compensation

The most easy way to do is using the view finder. As ur composing the shot u can basically use ur thumb to adjust the exposue using the big control wheel on the back side of the camera.Its placed superbly to make use of the thumb.

Using the top lcd is another way. But ur actually taking ur eyes of the view finder to do the same. I prefer method 1

Also there is a custom function that u can enable to use the Control wheel to map to a different
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:23 PM   #4

That is the way I'm setting the Exposure Compensation but after it's set the scale shows 0 compensation. Shouldn't you see the Exposure Compensation level on the scale? If for no other reason than to remind you that the setting has beenchanged.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:00 PM   #5
djb

I'll chime in for a bit. What shooting mode are you using?? if you are using any of the auto modes then I don't think EC will work. It does work in Av, Tv, and Manual modes. just my 2 cets.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:22 PM   #6

djb wrote:
Quote:
I'll chime in for a bit. What shooting mode are you using?? if you are using any of the auto modes then I don't think EC will work. It does work in Av, Tv, and Manual modes. just my 2 cets.

dennis
According to the manual EC works only in "P". "Av" and "Tv", this is of course I read it right. :?I'm trying to set the EC using "P". "Av" and "Tv" modes and have it show that it has been changed.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:38 PM   #7
djb

Craig, you are correct about what the manual states for EC in P, Av, & Tv modes. It states no EC in manual exposure. Well, that isn't true. It does work a bit differently but, has the same effect. I know this is an aside. But, in M mode if you take a grat card and take an exposure reading in the lighting conditions you are in say 1/250 @ f/6 or you can use any decent neutral setting to get your exposure readings. Once you have the exposure readings and you adjust aperature or shutter speed to get the EC pinter at 0. Then when you go to take a picture you can push the shutter button 1/2 way and then you can adjust apearature or shuter speed as before to get the EC pointer to to 0 as before so you have the proper exposure in that situation. So, all it is is that in M mode you use the the aperature or shutter speed to move the EC pointer to where ever you want to compensate. Sorry if the explanationis a bit confusing. but, back to your problem. When you press the shutter button half way, do you let off and then set EC or do you keep it pressed half way and set it? I press 1/2 way, let off the button and you have about 6 seconds to set EC and it should stay that way til you change it again. I don't know what happens when you keep the button pressed and then adjust it. Don't think i ever tried it that way. Sorry for the long message.

dennis
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:10 PM   #8

Dennis,

I use the six second method to change/move the pointer on the EC scale. I see it move when turning the dial but after that the pointer is always showing back to 0 not what it was changed too.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:38 PM   #9
djb

hmm, this wasn't mentioned but, are you using flash? or do you haveFEC (flash exposure compensation) asFEC will override camera EC? That's about all i can think of as there aren't any custom functions that deal with EC.

dennis

edit: also if you do have FEC set then it will stay that way until you set it to 0
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:51 PM   #10

djb wrote:
Quote:
hmm, this wasn't mentioned but, are you using flash? or do you haveFEC (flash exposure compensation) asFEC will override camera EC? That's about all i can think of as there aren't any custom functions that deal with EC.

dennis

edit: also if you do have FEC set then it will stay that way until you set it to 0
Yes, the 40D also has FEC and its' giving me the same problem but thought I save that for a different thread. I was not using the flash when working with setting and using the EC contorl, one thing at a time seem the easiest way to go.:?