Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:18 PM   #1

Am I reading this site right, $4.79 for a new 1800ma (40D comes with 1350ma) battery. Just makes me think of that old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't".

On the other hand it would be a great deal for a extra battery or two.

Thanks,

Craig

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:16 PM   #2

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Am I reading this site right, $4.79 for a new 1800ma (40D comes with 1350ma) battery. Just makes me think of that old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't".

On the other hand it would be a great deal for a extra battery or two.

Thanks,

Craig
What you get is not proportional to what you pay for, but it's usually an upward slope. Cheap batteries are often inferior to OEM in capacity and often lack safety measures implemented on US market batteries.

It may not have thermal monitoring, low/high voltage cut off, all designed to prevent ruptures and fires. Other than safety concerns, the capacity is often significantly below what they claim.

Go with Duracell or Lenmar branded ones. They're among the better aftermarket batts.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:24 PM   #3

itsme000 wrote:
Quote:
What you get is not proportional to what you pay for, but it's usually an upward slope. Cheap batteries are often inferior to OEM in capacity and often lack safety measures implemented on US market batteries.

It may not have thermal monitoring, low/high voltage cut off, all designed to prevent ruptures and fires. Other than safety concerns, the capacity is often significantly below what they claim.

Go with Duracell or Lenmar branded ones. They're among the better aftermarket batts.
That makes sense, thought that price was too good to true. Always like Duracell aftermarket batteries for my video camera, think I'll just stay with the name brand.

Thanks,

Craig
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:01 PM   #4

ok. i have no idea about the OEM batteries safety. but i bought the same 4.90 batteries which evenhad an offer of buy two get two free. I bought 4 batteries for my 30D and 5D. The oem batteries were thrown to dust by the non oem chinese made batteries. For two years i have used them and i havent had even single incident that caused problem to my camera.

I know of many users using the same batteries

My personal experience is such that i wouldnt mind buying the batteries again for my 40D

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:32 PM   #5

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
My personal experience is such that i wouldnt mind buying the batteries again for my 40D
Wow, that is impressive and nice to hear.

Thanks,

Craig
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:41 PM   #6

I usually buy my batteries from sterlingtek.com. They tend to be around $10 each. All have lasted me as long as the original Canon batteries, some have done better.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:20 PM   #7

Michi wrote:
Quote:
I usually buy my batteries from sterlingtek.com. They tend to be around $10 each. All have lasted me as long as the original Canon batteries, some have done better.
Cool, I'll take a look there to see their stock.

Thanks