Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:19 PM   #11

Sorry, for standing on a soap box, Anyway I would like to see the numbers for alkaline batteries if it's available. I've read the energy density on Alkalines vs NiMH and Li Ions, but if I can get around 150 to 200 shots, than that may be the ticket. Better yet, some one manufacture the NB2HL batter with NiMH instead. I can live with that.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:21 AM   #12

Actually, I think the fact that cameras now all mostly have rechargeable batteries (proprietary or not) is a huge improvement over the old days where cameras had weird button cells or what were they -CR2 batteries or whatever those things are called. I honestly appreciate your effort to conserve resources and be kind to nature, but I think youchose the wrong industry to pick on. I bet you flashlights for example create WAY more batteries worldwide which are thrown away than cameras. I can probably come up with a lot more electronic gadgets which have not gone rechargeable yet... So personally, I applaud camera manufacturers. And I do buy my batteries from places like Sterlingtek where I get the same quality as the originals for around $10.

As to the grip, I tried it once with rechargeable batteries, I think it may have been the original Digital Rebel with grip, and it worked, but it was heavier than the proprietary battery solution and the charger is smaller than the one I use for AA's, so I decided to go with the proprietary setup...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:21 AM   #13

Sorry, double clicked on "send"...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 5:31 PM   #14

Michi wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I think the fact that cameras now all mostly have rechargeable batteries (proprietary or not) is a huge improvement over the old days where cameras had weird button cells or what were they -*CR2 batteries or whatever those things are called.* I honestly appreciate your effort to conserve resources and be kind to nature, but I think you*chose the wrong industry to pick on.* I bet you flashlights for example create WAY more batteries worldwide which are thrown away than cameras.* I can probably come up with a lot more electronic gadgets which have not gone rechargeable yet...* So personally, I applaud camera manufacturers.* And I do buy my batteries from places like Sterlingtek where I get the same quality as the originals for around $10.

As to the grip, I tried it once with rechargeable batteries, I think it may have been the original Digital Rebel with grip, and it worked, but it was heavier than the proprietary battery solution and the charger is smaller than the one I use for AA's, so I decided to go with the proprietary setup...
It's not just the camera industry it's most industries that do this. To me it's obvious the profits generated from OEM batteries. I think they should have camera classifications and have batteries for that class. As for flashlights. Initially rechargeables where not a option, so the batteries where disposed of. now that they are plentifull and the flashlights industry has kept the same battery compartments. As opposed to the DSLRs. Most flashlights I ever buy always use standard batteries and I think most or all flashlights adhere to standardized batteries.
Anyway Mich, how well did the AA batteries perform in the grip?
Old Jan 19, 2008, 3:54 AM   #15
Super Moderator

AA batteries are not an option where a very precise voltage is required for optimal performance. It makes a huge difference in the precision required to minimise read noise off the sensors for example.

These are required in high-end digital cameras. AA's just don't perform. Pro photographers require their cameras to deliver thousands of shots between recharge. Can't be done with AA.

I also fail to see how rechargeable OEM batteries are inherently worse than rechargeable AA from an environmental point of view. If you don't like OEM prices you can get 3rd-party ones at half-price or less. You've got a bee in your bonnet over something that doesn't apply to the photography industry.

Photography is not now nor ever has been an environmentally friendly pursuit. Consider the amount of minerals and chemicals involved in creating and developing film, inks for prints, paper for prints, minerals in cameras and electronic equipment manufacture, exotic coatings on glass for lenses - not to mention the poor workers in far-east factories labouring for wages that we regard as pitiful in the west.

If this stuff bothers you only have a couple of choices: find some way of living with your faux-pious hypocrisy or sell your camera and get out of the game.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 8:14 AM   #16

Thoughtful and to the point. Well said peripatetic.

ScottSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:00 AM   #17

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
AA batteries are not an option where a very precise voltage is required for optimal performance. It makes a huge difference in the precision required to minimise read noise off the sensors for example.

These are required in high-end digital cameras. AA's just don't perform. Pro photographers require their cameras to deliver thousands of shots between recharge. Can't be done with AA.

I also fail to see how rechargeable OEM batteries are inherently worse than rechargeable AA from an environmental point of view. If you don't like OEM prices you can get 3rd-party ones at half-price or less. You've got a bee in your bonnet over something that doesn't apply to the photography industry.

Photography is not now nor ever has been an environmentally friendly pursuit. Consider the amount of minerals and chemicals involved in creating and developing film, inks for prints, paper for prints, minerals in cameras and electronic equipment manufacture, exotic coatings on glass for lenses - not to mention the poor workers in far-east factories labouring for wages that we regard as pitiful in the west.

If this stuff bothers you only have a couple of choices: find some way of living with your faux-pious hypocrisy or sell your camera and get out of the game.

You may be right about the voltage issues with cameras, I don't have much knowledge about professional equipment and voltage requirements, but in the case of the grip just by adding the sum voltage it far excedes the voltage of the supplied Li Ion battery voltage. Energy densities are far different. NiMH and Li Ion make use of device that require large power needs as opposed to Alkalines. I have probably answered my on question about alkaline longevity. But I am hoping newer technolgy does appear in AA/AAA size rechargeables

Regarding the OEM batteries, I just find them restrictive for other devices, Standards simplify many things and ultimeately become cheaper as you can apply it to other devices. I remember working on my car and I wanted to remove the arm rest, I found that the screw holding the arm rest was some OEM screw driver. Well I had no choice but to buy it and fix the arm rest, but know I have a stupid screw driver that I will probably never use again, escpecailly when I buy another vehicle.

I know the chemical baths the photo industry produces, I don't think it would ever stop me of finding better avenues for processing images when it arises. Just replacing film with memory cards is great improvement.
I remember many years ago my parents had a camera that had a disposable flash. I believe that it was cube shaped, it would end up in the landfill after use. Technology moved away from that. We need to remember that our countries have risen from a very polluted industrial economy that change due to health concerns. So industry, camera or what ever has the ability from moving to a cleaner process. So good enviromental change is possible for all. I got the impression that ecology first was thoughtful, and that was the point.