Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:27 AM   #1

I purchased a rebel and I am thinking of buying a grip for purpose of using rechargeable alkaline batteries. I loath the idea of proprietary batteries, due to the cost and how long will canon continue this battery type in years to come. So Li Ion rechargeable batteries are out unless the can make the AA version of them. So has anyone tried rechargeable alkaline and what where the results. Thanks
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:35 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I don't think you can recharge alkaline batteries. Trying to is probably not a good idea unless you do it with a fire-extinguisher close by.

The Li-ion batteries are used because they are so much better.

With the battery grip and 6AA alkalines you will probably get about 30 shots per set. Compared to around 500 from the Canon battery. That will get very expensive very fast. Rechargeable NiMh AA batteries will give you a little more life, with slightly better power delivery and cost a lot less.

But I really don't see why so many people have this bizarre fetish with not using proprietary batteries. How long are you expecting this camera to last you anyway? 20 years? Canon will keep making batteries as long as people need them. They have sold millions of Rebels so it's not like you're looking for some obscure thing that you won't be able to find.

If you are really worried about it then get yourself a manual film camera.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:32 AM   #3
NHL

IMO garman means the new "hybrid" type of batteries that we got here in the States...
It's high current like NiMh but retains its charge like alkaline

http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/hybr...ts_intro.shtml

-> When used with this battery grip on the D300 it goes over 1000 shots...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:43 AM   #4

When used with this battery grip on the D300 it goes over 1000 shots...

Thats pretty awesome. I am amazed at the Mark III battery life. With extensive use of live view i still got around 2200 shots in my first charge.

I had the blinking battery indicator in the camera for around 300-500 shots(live view was used almost every time possible..was doing lot of product photography experiments)
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:05 PM   #5
NHL

It's not just that - Look at what I'll be carrying for my next birding trip:
o Charger for BlackBerry
o Charger for laptop
o Charger for 1DMrkII (BIG)
o Charger for D300
o Charger for NiMh (the flashes)
If all the cameras and flashes can use AA then my chargers count just went down by 1/2!!!
-> and I'm not bringing the toothbrush nor the razor charger(s)... :lol::-):G
+ all the batteries are now interchangeable in case one ran out in the field (get it from the flashes for example)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:30 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I've got some of those hybrids myself - to use with my flash! Because otherwise I either have to use Alkaline or anticipate when I'm going to need the flash and charge up some NiMh ahead of time.

The hybrids are great!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:41 PM   #7

I don't want to sound pius here, but have you seen all the gadgets that have special batteries. Most people just dump the product because the batteries cost more than the original item, becuase it's either sealed or the cost of labour to install new batteries ie apple ipod. I don't hate Li Ions, I wish they would make one battery type to fit all DSLR cameras. This is just a way for Canon and the others to hose the consumer for every last dollar out of your pocket and the blow back is to the environment and laying waste to our landfills and the future of our children. I hate supporting a throw away society. I have a friend who still uses his old 25 year old slr camera with guess what AA batteries. It still works well, film is becoming a issue with him, but it's available.
Anyway I can buy rechargeable Alkaline batteries. I've read that people used NiMH batteries on the XT/XTi and struggle with battery life, stating that it may have to due with the combine voltage of the six batteries equally a total of 7.2 as opposed to the potential 9.5 volts with alk batteries.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:35 PM   #8

anyone point me to a site besides dpreview. where people talk about the grip. thanks
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:24 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Hmm, lets see. A BP511 battery for my 20D/5D costs around £50 retail. A non-Canon alternative costs around £25.

The 40D costs around £800 and the 5D around £1300. No sign of the battery being more expensive than the camera then.

Canon have kept compatibility of that battery for the 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D and 5D - that's four generations of cameras with the same battery.

Good luck with those rechargeable alkalines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recharg...kaline_battery

I'd expect a lot of Err99s.

Even Pentax had to give up on AA batteries when they made the K10D because they couldn't get a clean enough power delivery according to their engineers.

Quote:
This is just a way for Canon and the others to hose the consumer for every last dollar out of your pocket and the blow back is to the environment and laying waste to our landfills and the future of our children.

Yeah right. That's their master plan for sure. I have a 4-year old BP511 that is still going strong. When I do have to dispose of it one day it will go into the recycling where it is safely processed.

Seriously dude, I think you're nuts. :-)
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:08 PM   #10

"Dude" I am looking for better environmental ways to keep this crap off the land fills. Recycling always requires energy. The smaller the foot print you leave the cleaner our environment is. So what wrong with a standardized DSLR batter for Nikon, Canon etc.. would that be easier for all. Just look at the cluster #@!$ we've left in third world countries, we're dumping our garbage on somebody else's country. This Dude does not support it. Where do you live I'll leave my trash by your yard and pay you handsomely for it. But you can't pass it on.

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, lets see. A BP511 battery for my 20D/5D costs around £50 retail. A non-Canon alternative costs around £25.

The 40D costs around £800 and the 5D around £1300. No sign of the battery being more expensive than the camera then.

Canon have kept compatibility of that battery for the 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D and 5D - that's four generations of cameras with the same battery.

Good luck with those rechargeable alkalines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recharg...kaline_battery

I'd expect a lot of Err99s.

Even Pentax had to give up on AA batteries when they made the K10D because they couldn't get a clean enough power delivery according to their engineers.

Quote:
This is just a way for Canon and the others to hose the consumer for every last dollar out of your pocket and the blow back is to the environment and laying waste to our landfills and the future of our children.

Yeah right. That's their master plan for sure. I have a 4-year old BP511 that is still going strong. When I do have to dispose of it one day it will go into the recycling where it is safely processed.

Seriously dude, I think you're nuts. :-)