Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:49 AM   #1

Found it an interesting article. Especially the comment about Canon being the best system designed by engineers vs. Nikon being the best system designed by photographers:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-d3-d300.shtml

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:42 AM   #2
NHL

IMO it takes engineers to implement the photographer wishes... I don't see how one can separate one from the other

Interesting part about the Auto ISO:
-> I thought this was a gimmick until after re-reading the article and have to try it for myself which is really cool - IMO all cameras should have this (no more underexposed shots)!

As to the HDMI output:
-> I can see why the photographers have put this feature in: going out from a PC will never get us a 1080 picture on a flat-screen from any RGB PC output... This is the only way to have a high-res pictures on a wall size monitor

Autofocus Control Switch:
I tend to disagree with the writer here - IMO It's much easier/quicker to change the modes between continous/single-shot and MF with a single lever which you can "tactically" feel with a Nikon body than through button/dial and watch the LCD on the Canon (+ the AF/Manual switch is separate on the Canon)

Real-Time Histogram:
Kudo to Canon for this - IMO this feature is essential for nightshot on a tripod and they took it away from the D300 on the D3!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:41 AM   #3

Real-Time Histogram:
Kudo to Canon for this - IMO this feature is essential for nightshot on a tripod and they took it away from the D300 on the D3

I really like this feature from Canon. Even white balance changesare reflected in the Live view when simulated. The flash sync with the Live view is also impressive. I mentioned prior here. The moment u switch on the flash the live view shows the simulated exposure which is almost perfect after the picture is taken

One minor niggle in this feature is, if using flash though the exposure is perfect, the camera still simulates the white balance through ambient light and not the expected flash light. But given that the live view does so much its perfect for long exposure shots, and shots where u would instead be predicting a hyper focul distance during dim lights.

Setting up a scene for hyper focal length in Live view with simulated exposure is perfect for night landscapes.

Interesting part about the Auto ISO:

Yes this is a terrific implementation. though the mark III has an option to set the ISO for AV mode i am sure Nikons way is more impressive.

Autofocus Control Switch:

Anyone who have used a Nikon will know how easy this switch is. I am with NHL here. I extensively use my friends D200 and there are quite a few controls which would be great on a Camera body than the menu

In fact they already have a customizable button in D200 in front of the camer below the DOF button.

One thing that bothered me was the left dial which has host of functions from mirror up to bracketing is the way the knob is designed. Its a bit painful process atleast to me. I like the implementation of all basic and most important functions outside, but this knob design can be better. The lock switch and the knob operaton is a bit painful for me.

I find the AWB of Nikon in Artifical lights more usable than Canon. Heck canon throws a Dark Orange the moment artifical lihts come into effect. (Though now i can atleast use the live view to correct it which is a big boon)

Lot of features in Nikon does make us feel the camera was designed by real photograhers while canon took the marketing approach of trying to lead the other model by image quality in low light high iso(now even thats obselete knowing hw good the D3 and d300 perform in low light)

I would guess that we can see a radical change in Canon's approach to cameras going forward over the next couple of years. Its going to be fun game
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:02 PM   #4
NHL

The 45 AF points selection is another item where I believe the Nikon handle slightly better:
On the 1D you have to press a button and turn a dial by looking at it - If you need the AF extra helper then it's another round of C.Fn.17 selection through the menu...
-> With the Nikon again it's a 3-position lever where you can flip to any mode by 'feel' only between the 51 AF points, 1 AF point with expansions, or just the center AF point by itself

You just have to get used to the Nikon vs Canon lens rotation :lol::-):G
It's like going to the islands for birdings where they drive on the left like in the UK...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5

The AF-On was taken from Nikon(i have used only canon and nikon D200) and ISO button in the mark III and 40D comes after a long time. Hope Canon can adapt to more such buttons and functions from other cameras that are more photographer frindly.

only thing i want in the 1d mark III is easy way to switch between single point and all 45 points.. I know its possible with lots of menu analysis. But i would have preferred a small lever ignoring all other settings for the AF.

And i wonder how many of us use th 45 points or the 51 points ??:?:?:?
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:41 PM   #6

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
And i wonder how many of us use th 45 points or the 51 points ??:??:?
I've certainly usd most of them. I typically have all 4 assist points enabled. The camera is very good about not using them INSTEAD OF the primary point. Having 19 points to choose from is great for getting the composition correct in-camera.

It's also nice that all 19 are high sensitive and cross type. So no longer relegated to using the center only if you want the most accurate.

And taking group shots it's great to have them all active.

My only gripe is similar to yours - the method of selection. I would have prefered if the joystick could move it to all the points rather than needing to use the wheels.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:41 PM   #7

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
And i wonder how many of us use th 45 points or the 51 points ??:??:?
I've certainly usd most of them. I typically have all 4 assist points enabled. The camera is very good about not using them INSTEAD OF the primary point. Having 19 points to choose from is great for getting the composition correct in-camera.

It's also nice that all 19 are high sensitive and cross type. So no longer relegated to using the center only if you want the most accurate.

And taking group shots it's great to have them all active.

My only gripe is similar to yours - the method of selection. I would have prefered if the joystick could move it to all the points rather than needing to use the wheels.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:15 PM   #8
Super Moderator

My gripe is that they are all in the middle of the frame.

I know why they do it, but really - when you're not tracking I can't see the point.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote