Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:05 AM   #1

I have found that the Bibble raw converter to be MUCH better than the DPP that comes with my 40D and a (stupid?) thought crossed my mind: Would it be better to shoot all my (RAW) images at the standard (0,0,0,0) setting and apply the level of sharpness, contrast, brightness, noise reduction in Bibble for the sake of quality or is the Digic III chip just as good?

I am aware that there will be more time involved if I do it in software but since I edit at my own pace without deadlines I wonder what benefit, if any I would gain?

Or am I being anal about the whole thing?
:P
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

If you shoot RAW then all those settings don't do anything anyway.

They only apply when you convert to JPG using the in-camera processor. It affects the thumbnails you see, but RAW is RAW.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:58 PM   #3

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
If you shoot RAW then all those settings don't do anything anyway.

They only apply when you convert to JPG using the in-camera processor. It affects the thumbnails you see, but RAW is RAW.
That's what I thought until I started experimenting with different settings in the picture style menu.

For example if I set the sharpness at 7, when the picture is opened in Digital Photo Professional the starting point for the sharpening tool is at 7. The same follows for all the other settings. I didn't notice this at first but after checking and rechecking the results are the same. Whatever the camera is set to the Canon software will mirror those settings in the initial screens.

Now if the camera and the software use the exact same algorithms to process the RAW file I could wrap my head around the whole thing.

I have not tried this with Bibble so I can't speak to that end. But if Bibble starts every edit session with the same starting point regardless of how the picture settings are in the camera it leaves me wondering my original question.

What am I missing?

Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:42 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Ah yes I can believe that DPP picks those up as the default settings.

ACR doesn't use any of that stuff except the white balance that the camera estimates. Once again it doesn't affect the image, just is used as the default setting for the RAW conversion process.

I haven't used DPP except for few times back in around 2004. I use Lightroom (ACR engine) and DXO and neither of them take any notice of the in-camera settings.
No idea about Bibble, I'd be surprised frankly.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 5:00 AM   #5

sad thing abt adobe ACR is that they provided an upgrade for cs3(plugin) while they ignored CS2. Instead they have given a DNG converter which doesnt seem to work with 40D or 1D mark III.(atleast its not oprning the 40D files. i will update here if i get the right version of DNG)

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:16 AM   #6

Thanks for the clarification. Well add another bruise to my ego and another real world example of "assuming".

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Ah yes I can believe that DPP picks those up as the default settings.

ACR doesn't use any of that stuff except the white balance that the camera estimates. Once again it doesn't affect the image, just is used as the default setting for the RAW conversion process.

I haven't used DPP except for few times back in around 2004. I use Lightroom (ACR engine) and DXO and neither of them take any notice of the in-camera settings.
No idea about Bibble, I'd be surprised frankly.