Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:37 PM   #1

Canon announces the new 12mP 450 xt series.

But the most interesting announcement so far is

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...20dhandson.asp

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:58 AM   #2

I agree. I'll be very interested to see how the new Pentax works out when it gets into the right hands and is properly field tested. The real key is how well their servo focus system works. if they've improved that AND improved iso performance then this camera is really biting at the heels of the 40d in some cases and outright passed it in others. Just another example of Canon being complacent. The 40d sounded great (and is a great camera) but Nikon leapt far ahead of it with the D300 and Pentax closed a LOT of ground and has some interesting features that will be very appealing to a segment of the shooters out there..

What really concerns me though is Pentax throwing all those MP onto the sensor. I hope it works. Now Pentax has to step up it's game and get some lenses to market as well as convince Sigma it's worthwhile to produce Pentax mounts so Pentax users will have some modern glass to put on this camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:09 AM   #3

The 40d sounded great (and is a great camera) but Nikon leapt far ahead of it with the D300 and Pentax closed a LOT of ground and has some interesting features that will be very appealing to a segment of the shooters out there..

In a way i feel its good for canon. Knowing the standards and to surpass the same would not just be the idea of canon but the need. And this definitely gives more room for improment and newer features. I am happy with Nikon D300 and Pentax K20D. Both are pushing the standards up. And 40D by itself is a great camera. Thats my back up now and i am starting to enjoy it having used 30D and 5D. Its different from both these cameras with lots of feature and a couple of them evne the mark III is missing

I do think canon will start doing major R&D on their lines of camera to basically get back some market it has lost to Nikons D300 and D3. Knowing canons capability i would sit and watch whats in store sometime next year around

In body IS on a 1 series with ability to use the Lens IS??? who knows??

Regarding the pentax k20D

It looks very close and better than 40D in paper. SOme of the features are really nice including the dust removal package. Hope it delivers.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...ntaxtk200d.asp

K200D also looks very impressive for a entry level DSLR. Full weather sealed body

Most importantly, their arsenal of lens's is a worry factor. I wish they concentrate some more on lens's. If samsung or pentax or olympus work on bringing out better quality and variety of lens's, we can definitely see a good share of the market.

But i wonder whether they would get into lens's before mastering a camera that performs or even outperforms like/their competetion

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:39 AM   #4

Yeah, but as I read more about the K20 it appears the AF has not improved. So for the sport/wildlife shooter they're still behind in the game and that's a shame. Sony really stepped up with the A700.

As far as getting better cameras before lenses I disagree. You need the lenses too. After the entry level cameras people are more savy. They realize the body is only part of the equation. Pentax has a loyal following that seems ok with following ebay and hoping for a great find but not everyone wants to buy their gear on ebay. So, if you've got a user that is considering a pro-sumer DSLR and system you want to be able to deliver the goods on the lens front as well. Remember, right now Pentax has less than 10% market share - depending on what figures you look at that share is very small. You need to attract people to LEAVE Nikon & Canon. And right now the lack of glass is really a downside to a knowledgable PROSUMER level buyer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote