Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:12 PM   #1

Default Scratched the mirror :-(

Well, I did something stupid today. I brushed off my mirror and it left scratch marks on my 10D. They are in the lower - left corner if you look into the camera. Under the right angle I can see them pretty clearly. I don't notice it while looking through the viewfinder though.

I wondered how bad this is. Obviously the mirror moves before taking a shot, thus it won't show up on the picture. But could it affect the light metering? Light might bounce off a bit differently, and the exposure computed incorrectly maybe?

Second question, how do I properly clean my mirror? ;-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:46 PM   #2

The mirror coating on SLR's is unprotected very thin and very easily damaged

Only really safe way is to send it to manfacturer for cleaning or replacement if it really needs it.

The mirror and the shutter curtain are two very sensitive and easily damaged components. Either can be damaged or destroyed by light contact or even air preasure from canned air.

Quote:
Second question, how do I properly clean my mirror?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2003, 1:20 AM   #3

Default Re: Scratched the mirror :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
But could it affect the light metering? Light might bounce off a bit differently, and the exposure computed incorrectly maybe?
Given that exposure metering is an arbitrary hit & miss business, with errors (or artistic variations in the 'correct' value) commonly of the order of at least +/- 100%, I really wouldn't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
Second question, how do I properly clean my mirror?
Unless the muck is a serious nuisance, why bother? I went through all this with my Olympus OM-10, and happily lived with a huge fat scratch on the mirror for years.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2003, 1:41 AM   #4

Alan,

What you're saying is what I was hoping for. Good to hear you have actual experience with this too. It is not as if I can't see anything through the viewfinder anymore :-)

Thanks,
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote