Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:25 AM   #1

Who do you use and around what does it cost.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:21 AM   #2

absolutely!

I have a personal articles policy with State farm insurance. It's a few bucks a month for thousands in coverage. I would caution that you want to ask agents some very detailed questions about policies though. This policy requires proof of purchase for every item covered. At claim time there is no deductible - State farm will either replace it or give you the dollar amount OF A REPLACEMENT or INSURED AMOUNT whichever is LOWER. So, if you have a 400D and insure it for $700 and a year from now it gets broke or stolen and the 400d is still selling and it sells for $350 - they'll replace it or give you $350 - if it's discontinued they ask Canon what the replacement model is. If it's a 600D selling for $800 - they will only give you the $700. The good news is you can contact state farm and have replacement amounts adjusted.

As an example - I bought a sigma 120-300 2.8 lens for $1800. The lens sells now for $2700 so I had them up the insured amount to $2700.

Also a claim here has no affect on my homeowners. If you use your homeowners to file a claim you can expect a large deductible (typically $500-$1000) AND you risk your homeowners going up or you getting dropped. Also make sure you find out what is covered and what isn't - if you drop it in the ocean while on vacation out of country - is it covered? If your kid knocks it off a table - is it covered? etc. In other words find out when it IS NOT covered.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:22 PM   #3

@Johng.

What abt buying used equipements. They are still worth enough to insure. Is there a way to add the used equipments.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:58 PM   #4

Thanks I will have to look into that.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:55 PM   #5

I don't insure my stuff. I go by the same theory as with any extra extended warranties. If I bought all the extended warranties I was offered and insured all my expensive stuff, I would have paid a lot more after many years than replacing something. Sure, if I had a collection of extremely expensive L lenses and Canon 1D Mark somethings, I would think about it. But my XTi and 6 lenses can be replaced somewhat painlessly and I think in the long run I still save money by taking the risk. I guess it depends on what the value of your equipment is.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:56 PM   #6

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
@Johng.

What abt buying used equipements. They are still worth enough to insure. Is there a way to add the used equipments.
I couldn't speculate HOW it would work. That would be a question for an agent. I'm sure they have a way to do it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:24 PM   #7

Do I insure my camera gear, well it's sort of insured. I do buy the four year extended warranties with damage protectionalso my home owners and car insurance policies cover the gear against thief. But I have no insurance policy on just the camera gear alone.

So far with my luck the extended warranties have paid off for me. Wonder is that a good thing or a bad thing?:?
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:34 PM   #8
Super Moderator

My general view is that extended warrantees on most products are a rip-off. But sometimes you can get a good deal on them, so don't dismiss them out of principle.

I got a 3-year extended warrantee including accidental damage cover on my Canon 5D + 24-105L for less than 5% of the purchase price. That was a pretty good deal IMO so I took it; they were having a "sale" on the extended cover and offered it to me at about a quarter of its normal price.

Slightly off-topic, but I think you can also get good deals on extended warrantees if you pick the right products to insure. A few quid for 3-year cover on an in-car portable DVD player for my daughter was a no-brainer. I knew it would not last for more than 12-18 months. Sure enough it packed up after about 13 got it replaced with a new model for free.

On a washing machine or TV I would never bother.

Cameras are kindof in the middle - sometimes you can get a good deal.

I will be taking out a policy on my camera gear before I go on holiday in Africa. Round London I feel like I can take the risk and insure myself.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:18 PM   #9

I have insured my cameras for years, although I cut back a bit, as of late. Still insure my old Leica 11f, Mamiya TLR , Pentax ES11 and of course my new Pentax K10D...gee...can I say 'Pentax' on this forum ???
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:36 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
.can I say 'Pentax' on this forum ???
Yup, no fanboys here.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote