Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:38 PM   #1

I ran across a used 300d at a pawn shop today for 125 bucks. It has the 18-55 kit lens,1gb card,battery but no usb or owners manual. The camera looks to be in decent shape with no obvious abuse noted. Does this sound like a good buy. I know it is several years old but I would think it would be a good backup for my primary camera. Are there any things to watch out for such as chronic problems with this model. I would not be using it often but I always seem to have the wrong lens mounted with my main camera when a good photo opportunity arrives. The guy told me he may have the 75-300 lens at another location that he would let go for a reasonable price. C W.

dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:16 PM   #2

I think it sounds like a decent deal. If you have a laptop, I would bring it in, take a few test shots and look at them on the computer. (Otherwise you can always bringyour own CF card and take it home again). The 300D only had one chronic problem I am aware of, and that is the little "sub-mirror" which is attached to the real mirror could sometimes get stuck or separate. Usually Canon would fix it for free as it was some manufacturing problem. I never encountered the problem, but two of my friends did. Their cameras have long gone to heaven, mine has changed owners twice after me and still works perfectly with its third owner after many years. Oh, and of course I would say, "well, there is a lot of dirt on the sensor, how about $100".....
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:04 AM   #3

I use my 2004 vintage 300D all the time.I have had no problems with the camera and have never had it in for service. My kit lens was ok but not great. With a 17-40 or a 50 1.4, I have taken any number of shots that have been printed 8x10, 8x12 and even one or two 11x17 with good results. For that price, probably negotiated to $ 100.00 as Michi suggested earlier, it is well worth the gamble.

ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:05 AM   #4

I use my 2004 vintage 300D all the time.I have had no problems with the camera and have never had it in for service. My kit lens was ok but not great. With a 17-40 or a 50 1.4, I have taken any number of shots that have been printed 8x10, 8x12 and even one or two 11x17 with good results. For that price, probably negotiated to $ 100.00 as Michi suggested earlier, it is well worth the gamble.

ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:01 PM   #5

I have had mine since they were first released with no issues at all. I even fell in a fresh water stream when it was around my neck (submerged for a fraction of a second) and have not had any problems. That was more than three years ago. I am contemplating an upgrade now for the higher resolution, better focusing, and self cleaning sensor - but not because of any issues with the 300D. It has been a great camera that my Dad is waiting to buy when I get my new one.
PhotoPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote