Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:41 AM   #1

Hi,

I have had a look at the spec for the 40d and the 5d, that the main difference is that the fact that the 5dis 12mega pixles while the 40d is 10. Apart from that everything seems similat apart from the 40d having 6.5 fps.

What are the other differences between the 2 models?
ryanfawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:13 AM   #2

one is a full frame and the other is a 1.6x crop. Meaning a 17mm lens is 17mm in a 5d while it is 27mm in the 40D.

its just not the MP of fps the difference. Both are aimed at different set of users. One is a legendary FF camera while the other is a prosumer camera.

5D is an overal camera for those who hardly do wildlife while 40D does wildlif quite well because of its reach.

there are LOT more differences...u may wanna check the specs again
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:07 AM   #3
Super Moderator

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
one is a full frame and the other is a 1.6x crop. Meaning a 17mm lens is 17mm in a 5d while it is 27mm in the 40D.
Ryan, just so you don't get a wrong understanding moving forward no matter what camera you use a 17mm lens on it is still a 17mm lens, but with somany different cameras out there now with different 'crop factors' (their relation to 35mm which is the format that most people can relation to), the lens will appear to be longer or shorter depending on the camera you use.

So in relation to 35mm the 5D has the same size sensor so a 50mm lens looks the same, the 40D with a smaller sensor by 1.6x will make the 50mm lens appear to be 80mm, and on an Olympus E-500 for example with the 2x crop then the 50mm lens would appear to be 100mm. This will have creative effects on the same subject at the same distance. This is one reason that the 5D is favored by a lot of wedding/portrait photogs as it's a lovely creative tool. The 40D has advantages as nymphetamine states as you lenses will appear longer so for shooting sports/wildlife etc you don't need to spend as much money to get the same range.

What do you want the camera for? Most people will choose the 40D with good reason, price, great results, speed, but the 5D is still a better camera for a creative photographer looking for a top notch tool without the need for spending out on a 1Ds mkII or similar.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:04 AM   #4

the 5D is more than a couple of years old while the 40D comes with some of the advancements that canon made.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It finally comes down to what you will be shooting. If its going to be mostly wide angle and low light stuff i would pick the 5D for its going at 1600(imagine the same was costing 3000 when it came out)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Also 5D is definitely a KING in High ISO. No doubts in that. The bokeh will be more creamy on a 5D compared to a 40D from my personal viewing atleast. And 12MP on a FF sensor gives a wonderful looking image compared to a 40D. The DR on the 5D does seem a bit better compared to the xxD series.

Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:31 PM   #5

Thank for the replys, I didn't quite understand the 1.6x crop before. but it makes sense to me now.

At the moment I have am using a 20d that I have borrowed for a few months but I will be giving it back to the owner soon. I have the money to buy a new 40d, but I just realised that you can get a refurbished/2nd hand 5d for a similar price, so I just wanted to check to make sure I had make the right decision.

The camera will be used for a lot of different things such aslandscapes, street phorography, wildlife photography when I am out fishing and possibly a some portrate photography, so I need a good multi-purpose camera.

I think the 40d is probably the better option for me, it is a little smaller and lighter, I think it is more water/dust resistant, it has a self cleaning sensor unit, a larger lcd screen and the 6.5fps.

Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:37 PM   #6

I have one more question,

can anyone tell me if the noise from the shutter on the 40d is as loud as the noise on the 20d? Is there anything to lower the shutter noise as it is a little too loud for some situtations.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:31 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Yes, the shutter is a new design with electronic first curtain so it's slightly quieter than the 30/20D's shutter. I did hear a sample comparing the 30D and 40D's shutter but can't find it now. It was better but not as quiet as the 5D.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:38 PM   #8

5D shutter is quiter than 40D but not in the live mode. In live mode the 40D has two modes of shutter release. When enabled the shutter releases so soft that u cna hear only the mirror noise while the picture is taken.

Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:02 AM   #9
Super Moderator

The 20D had the sharpest sounding shutter of any camera I have owned.

The 5D is much much better. They had improved matters hugely even in the 30D.

Basically - if you love portraits, street and landscape then go for the 5D - which is still unmatched by ANY camera in some areas.

But the 40D is probably better for your purposes as it is far more of an all-rounder.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote