Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:31 AM   #11

NHL wrote:
Quote:
nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
i think it does. There is an option to set lens wise or just once. Itdoes retain that information for that lens..i can confirm soon..
I'm sure it can retain for the lens, but does it remember the different permutations? i.e.
1. 120-300 f/2.8
2. 120-300 f/2.8 with 1.4x TC
3. 120-300 f/2.8 with 2x TC
-> since there are different fine tune values for each combo even though it's from one lens
You have to think of this from the camera's perspective The camera does not know it is a 120-300 2.8 with 1.4x TC.

What it knows is it has a 168-420 lens on it (i.e. think about what the exif shows).

So the camer thinks those 3 are completely different lenses (assuming focal length is being carried through ).

The only part that's fuzzy to me is whether it can differentiate by max aperture.

For instance I know the mkIII will think the canon 70-200 2.8 and sigma 70-200 2.8 are the same lens. What I dont know is if it can differentiate between say the 70-200 2.8 and 70-200 f4

You also have a limited number of lenses you can define to it (10?) so you could eat those up pretty quickly if you had several lenses and you were recording 3 values for reach.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:08 AM   #12
Super Moderator

I was reading the book yesterday (did I really just admit that???) and it says 20 lenses can be stored so I think I will be fine.

Man I'm in love with this camera...... I've just been out shooting by the river at the bottom of my hill (3 mins drive) so see what birds were around and boy am I impressed. I'm going to put them in the wildlife section and although they are not as good as a lot of peoples they are better than I've ever managed to get!!! Also the calibration has allowed me to use the 2x TC which I wasn't able to do before and it worked fine.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:36 AM   #13

You also have a limited number of lenses you can define to it (10?) so you could eat those up pretty quickly if you had several lenses and you were recording 3 values for reach.

on the funny side, if i have so many lens's i am absolutely sure i would have two mark III bodies..just kidding.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:39 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Another thing to note is if a lens is fine at 0 the does not count towards your 20. I have 3 lenses that are 0 (all my Canon ones hmmmmm) so no worries.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:59 AM   #15

i never tested any lens specifically for the (m)adjustment. I just started taking pictures and so far i guess all my lens's work fine. It may not be the case, but i havent recognised any badly focussed shots. In fact i tried a -1 after reading that RG tests and ended up fron focussing with my 500mm on lots of birds....felt so frustrated after spending almost two hours near a bird feeder waiting for the birds...

I guess i should really test every other lens ... how are u testing it
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote