Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:21 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Having 5fps is going to help but nothing will beat mastering your timing! 'Machine gunning' a hitter even with 5fps will not mean you get what you want as there is still quite a large gap (I've shot with a 30D for quite a long time for mainly sports use and how use a 1D mkIII). Basically don't think that 5fps is going to solve your problems, but it will help.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 2:11 AM   #12

Hey Mark,

Are you saying that 5fps is not fast enough for some sports or that fps isn't the issue, but timing itself. I have the same problem choosing between an XTI or a 30/40d. I am trying to figure out if those 2fps will make a $300+ difference.
tapout13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 2:32 AM   #13

I agree with Mark1616, that timing in more important than fps, though I do enjoy the 6.5 fps from my 40D. Timing was all we had before motor drives came out and their super fast 3fps just eat up a roll of film like crazy. Plan your shot, know what going to happen and be ready, don't just aim and shoot the heck out. Plan and shoot gets the better shots.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 6:54 AM   #14
Super Moderator

tapout13 wrote:
Quote:
Hey Mark,

Are you saying that 5fps is not fast enough for some sports or that fps isn't the issue, but timing itself. I have the same problem choosing between an XTI or a 30/40d. I am trying to figure out if those 2fps will make a $300+ difference.
To rely on 5fps in some sports will simply not work. Take volleyball or example, if you just try to machine gun a hit/dig etc at 5 fps you are not likely to get the point of contact or whatever it is you are looking for so you have to practise timing to get what you want. However for other sports where timing is not quite so essential so taking a burst of 3 or 4 shots gives great results. Even with 10 fps I usually shoot a burst of between 2-4 shots as I know what I'm looking for and take a couple just to get the best part of that action. There are more things between the XTI and the xxD cameras apart from speed that you should take into consideration when shooting sports such as better high ISO performance, better handling, spot metering (not generally used in sports) etc. I would personally choose a xxD camera if possible but just wanted to point out that high rates of continuous shooting don't remove the skill of the photographer
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 8:19 AM   #15

just to add my .02 - Mark brought up some important other advantages of the 40d. Without a doubt it's a better sports camera.

And he is correct timing is critical in some sports.

But having used 3fps, 5fps and 10fps cameras - more is definitely better. It's often very beneficial because you can often have 2 frames with good action rather than just 1. And that gives you 2 to choose from - one might have better facial expression or a better stride or the difference between another person's arm in the frame or not. Or in the case of 10fps I can have 3 shots instead of 2 to choose from. There are still some things you need your timing perfect on and if the first shot misses you've missed it. But for a lot of sports shots (soccer, football, basketball, a lot of baseball) there isn't just a 1/10 of peak action but the duration is a bit longer and having 2 shots to select from vs. 1 is beneficial - you can't time a facial expression or stride or other player getting in the frame.

For what it's worth, even with 10fps I still tend to take 2-3 shot bursts. But rather than that stretching a full second it is less than half a second.

Remember the best sports pros in the world have their timing down pretty well. Yet, they use cameras with 8 and 10fps not 3fps. They don't "spray and pray" but they prefer to choose between 2 or 3 very good shots rather than have only 1 to choose from.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote