Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:01 PM   #1

Default EOS-300D - Realistic or NOT ??

I am very new to digital and film photography. I own a Nikon N80 film SLR which I just in AUTO mode (don't know much about manual mode). I would like to get into digital photography and am concerning a Digital SLR for the convenience of inter-changeable lenses (extreme wide angle to extreme telephoto). One of the models I am looking at is the Canon EOS-300D (Digital Rebel). I have done lots of reading and it seems that a lot of the "missing features" on this dSLR are starting to turn people away. People are complaining about: spot metering, lack of manual control, flash compensation, etc... How realistic are these complaints? Are the missing features only for advanced photography? The price is just right, but will it be a decision I will regret later? HELP!!!!!
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2003, 1:35 PM   #2

If you don't do flash photography, you won't miss flash compensation. If you do, it can save the shot. I do very little with a flash, so I'm only repeating what I've read.

The 300D has the same spot meter as the 10D. That being said, I wish it was better/smaller. 9% (or so) of the image is just too big. Nikon got it right in their digital SLRs... their spot meter is more like... 3% or so? It matter less to a beginner, but when you get more advanced and want to lock a exposure setting and recompose, it is harder to do (because you'll have spot metered more than you want.) For example, I do a lot of nature/bird photography. I have stopped using the spot meter because it was picking up the bird and the background behind it. Found it rather frustrating. Instead I use the one which is more weighted at the center. There wasn't much difference, and it made the more evently lit shots better.

The lack of manual controls... are you refering to how you have to press buttons to change the mode of the wheel? Things like that? Personally, I think this sucks. Big time.

The 300D has only 1 dial (I just checked.) When I use AV or TV modes I need to change two things. 1) Shutter speed or aperture 2) exposure compensation. Since I have 2 wheels, I can do this without having to press any buttons. If I read correctly, you can't in the 300D. You have to press a button (and hold it? I'm not sure) and turn the dial. This seems like it would get in the way of actual photography.

How many lenses for that N80 do you have? If you have several, and you like them... why not consider a Nikon D100 or Fuji S2? The body might be more expensive, but you'll save money on the lenses and therefor it will probably be cheaper in the end.

Another thing to consider is that the people who do reviews are probably good photographers. So things that might not bother you might bother them a lot. They want and like a broad range of functionality because they are used to it in a film camera. Hopefully the better reviewers won't fall into that trap of projecting their needs into a review (to the exclusion of the market it's aimed at.) The 300D is supposed to be a cheap, bottom rung DSLR. I wouldn't buy a camera aimed there, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good camera for you.

It should be stated that I'm rather new to photography, but I chose to do a difficult type of photography (bird/wildlife) so the cheaper cameras just wouldn't cut it... period. Heck, there are things the 10D does which makes me long for a 1D.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:06 PM   #3
NHL

Quote:
People are complaining about: spot metering, lack of manual control, flash compensation, etc... How realistic are these complaints? Are the missing features only for advanced photography? The price is just right, but will it be a decision I will regret later? HELP!!!!!
Who's complaining? 99% of the people who buy this camera don't need thoses features... The 300D is already an incredible camera for the price point. It does a lot more than most point & shoot, and will output quality to match (or exceed) more expensive dSLRs. I'm sure they have no problem moving this camera either...

The 300D only looks deficient if compared to a more expensive 10D... Theses postings are just trying to put a cost figure on what that $500 extra buy (or not buy) you, that's all. IMO I think what people really are after is the 10D for the price of the 300D!

I'm telling you theses Canon marketing folks are no dummy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 7:19 PM   #4

i have to agree with NHL, that everybody wants the 10D for the price of the 300D. Who wouldn't?

The thing with SLRs is that after a point the camera body becomes the accessory and the lenses are the most important factor. Either the Nikon or the Fuji would be as good (or better) as a 300D. The thing comes down to is how much are your proprietary nikon lenses and flashes worth?

I locked myself into the Canon system a year ago: I bought a G2, then a flash, my film SLR is a Canon so I can share the flash. The dSLR I buy will be a Canon so I can share the flash with all three cameras, the batteries between the digicams and the lenses between SLRs. If I were to go Nikon now (and the N80 is a nice camera) I'd be looking at too steep a price to have two flashes, two sets of lens etc. When I go to Europe next year I plan on taking all three cameras, at least this way I'll be able to save some space.

But if you don't have a lot of 'accessories' then the 300D would likely suffice, I'm personally torn between it and te 10D.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 3:37 PM   #5

If, like you said, you're going to get into buying extreme wide to extreme telephoto lenses, then the price difference of the 300D and 10D should not be the deciding factor. You're going to spend a lot on lenses. I see myself upgrading camera bodies once in a while, but not my lenses (unless Canon changes the mount type).

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 5:14 PM   #6

if you want all the bells and whistles you gotta pay for the one that has them.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 8:58 PM   #7

If I had to decide, I would go with the 10D. The extra features and control might not be something you use now but they will be there as your photography skills advance. I would not base my decision on what features I use now but what features I could use later.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:05 AM   #8
NHL

... I have the 10D, but when I handled the Digital Rebel at Best Buy, I was impressed: It's more compact, beautifully finished and so light with that EF-s lens... I want it too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

They'll have no problem moving this baby
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:50 AM   #9

Default Re: EOS-300D - Realistic or NOT ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiaccio
(extreme wide angle to extreme telephoto)
Do not expect to get extreme wide angle with most digital SLR. The smaller than film sensor gives you a boost with your tele lenses but is a handicap on the wide angle lenses.
Hpoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:53 AM   #10

I agree with all the opinions so far, with 1 modification
I'd want the 1ds for the price of the 300d :P :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa
i have to agree with NHL, that everybody wants the 10D for the price of the 300D. Who wouldn't?
Your wanting extreme wide is not easy in any of the dSlr's with small image sensors, I think even with a 17mm lense you end up with something equivalant to a 28mm in full frame 35mm.
But your long tele's get even longer :P And normal lenses in the 17mm range are not cheep, with the exception of the new one that can come with(and only works with) the 300d.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote