Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:00 PM   #1

How do I know if Sigma's HSM motor will function with the rebel XT. I've read that if your camera does not support HSM the lens becomes manual focus. True?
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:35 PM   #2
Administrator

All of the Sigma lenses with HSM in Canon EF mount should autofocus on your Rebel XT.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:49 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Yes I have a few Sigma HSM lenses and when borrowed with friend who has a 350D they work fine.... they also work fine on my 30D, 5D and 1D mkIII so nothing to worry about!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:30 PM   #4

thanks guys. I did more reading I think they were talking about the nikon D40(x) cameras. I'm not sure what other cameras that the HSM series does not work on.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 2:24 PM   #5
Administrator

Sigma's HSM lenses work on the D40 and D40x. Lenses without focus motors won't work on the D40, D40x or D60.

Unlike Canon models, where all AF lenses have focus motors built in (it's just a matter of the type), only Nikon's AF-S or Sigma's HSM had focus motors built in for Nikon mount (until very recently).

That's because all Nikon AF camera bodies had focus motors built in. But, Nikon decided to omit the focus motor in their new entry level models (D40, D40x and D60), which is why lenses without focus motors won't autofocus on these new bodies. HSM lenses will Autofocus on them.

Quote:
I'm not sure what other cameras that the HSM series does not work on.
Using lenses with this type of focus motor system is relatively new to Pentax. They call it SDM (Supersonic Drive Motor), and only started shipping lenses with this feature last year.

Sigma recently announced that some of their lenses with HSM would be available for Pentax models, too. But, most Pentax DSLR models won't be able to work with them. AFAIK, the only Pentax models that work with HSM are the K10D, K20D, K200D, and K100D Super (the older non-Super version of K100D won't work them, and neither will any of the earlier Pentax DSLR models).

In film camera models, you'll see more cameras that won't work with HSM. For example, Minolta first started shipping lenses with their version of the system (SSM , for Supersonic Motor) in 2003, with the Minolta 300mm f/2.8G SSM and Minolta 70-200mm f/2.8G SSM lenses. So, many older film models won't work with it (although the support for these lens types was added to camera bodies beginning a few years before their SSM lenses started shipping).

Minolta was offering upgrades to some of it's film bodies at the time they introduced their SSM technology. I don't think you can get upgrades today (but, a number of film bodies made since about 2000, incuding the Maxxum 7 will work with SSM lenses).

Sigma only recently announced that HSM will be an available feature in Sony/Minolta AF mount, even though Minolta's SSM feature has been around for a while now. All Konica Minolta and Sony DSLR models should be compatible with them (as well as some of the more recent Minolta film bodies).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote