Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 18, 2003, 11:26 PM   #11

Hey Eric,

I love that picture, it is great! As if the birds posed for you in a nice triangle. I do hope your knee will start working again. Doesn't sound like fun at all :-(

I'm on vacation next week (Utah, here we come!). Can't wait to take a ton of pictures there.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:35 AM   #12

I hope my knee gets better too. I start physical therapy on Monday. I've been on cruches for almost a month, so I'm very unhappy. Even when I don't do photography, I still hike and kayak (that picture was from a boat) and I haven't been able to do any of that. I missed basically the entire fall migration (more birds than you can shake a camera at!) so a lot of interesting photo ops passed me by.

Utah should be very nice. Going to any national parks? Check out this page for some ideas!
http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/index.shtml

(Amazing what you can find with a little google search!) I told my boss (who is a semi-pro photographer) that I was going to take all of Nov. and Dec. off to tour the national park system (as a joke.) He thought it sounded like a good idea!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:52 AM   #13

Hey Eric,

I'll go tour with you :-) We live in Colorado, thus I'm driving to Utah. Arches, Canyonlands and bryce, then back to Colorado is the plan. Might stop by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and/or Mesa Verde on the way back. Thus we'll visit a few national parks indeed!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 8:29 PM   #14

eric s re: exposure compensation

no there is a separate icon for that and the icon is the same as my G2. I think that it is a legacy of the camera likely using the same software as the 10D.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 2:03 AM   #15

Could be. Very interesting.

I read somewhere that a reviewer wondered if the only difference between the 10D and 300D was software. i.e the hardware is mostly there. Makes you wonder if someone will find a way to replace a rom and open up some of the 10D functionality.

To me, it might share stuff with the 10D (makes sense from an inventory standpoint) but some I don't see someone redoing a rom to make it accessable. The interface differences in the 300D make that very tricky (if possible.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 1:04 PM   #16

the alternative is that the camera is able to record any manual settings that the flash used. Not having a 550EX flash I couldn't tell, maybe I'll take the camera into a store and try the bigger flash out.

So far so good with the camera though. I think the best accessory so far to get is a monopod or an IS lens. Taking pictures after dinner last night with my 75-300 zoomed out I got a lot a camera shake even with the monopod and 800 ISO.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 7:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Could be. Very interesting.I read somewhere that a reviewer wondered if the only difference between the 10D and 300D was software. i.e the hardware is mostly there. Makes you wonder if someone will find a way to replace a rom and open up some of the 10D functionality.
Hm that doesn't make sense; Big company invests in develloping different rom to reuse same hardware guts in cheaper camera. However it could be quite true that some functions missing on the 300D could be activated. For instance 3200 iso? Does anyone have a rom reader and a 300D? ;-)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 9:36 PM   #18

I just got the 300D, but I am not sacraficing this one.
I called Best Buy on Thursday to see if they had the 300D. "Yeah sure, we got 7 in on Tuesday". Great! Later on, I discover that they had sold the last one about 10 min after I called. The other BestBuy was out. Circut City hasn't gotten it yet. None of the OfficeStapleDepot places had it. CompUSA is going to get it.
RitzCamera had it online... - Wait! Wolf Camera! Just down the street. Yahoo!

I shot some images onto my media friday, checked them out at home and was pleased.

9:20 am Saturday - I am at Wolf Camera -
9:30 pm Saturday - Had the thing 12 hours and have already ordered an addititonal Gig of CF. I love it. MY wife loves it. The kids are not allowed to love it or covet it or touch it....

Images are excellent - I have read every review Linked from steve's conculusions and all I can say is that the sample pics I have seen are either not as good as what I am getting or they are just as good.

Excellent camera. - I am so giddy I can't write coherently.

Weber
Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 9:38 PM   #19

So giddy, in fact, that I am sacrificing my spelling ability.
Weber is offline   Reply With Quote