Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 17, 2003, 7:25 PM   #1

Default Question about 300D & flash

I'm hoping that someone can answer this clearly as I'm getting confused on the issue.

Currently I have a 420EX flash (no manual controls), based on what I've read I won't be able to adjust the flash on the 300D like I can on my Elan 7 (film) or even my G2. While in general I tend to let the camera go automatic when using the flash I think that with the ability to review the histogram after taking a shot I'm more likely to want to do this of a dSLR.

Am I off base - can the digital Rebel go +/- flash compensation? Is it burried in the menus?

Or is this a canard and I could do a simple work around with the available controls?

thanks in advance

bear...
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:27 PM   #2
NHL

The camera may not have flash compensation, but do you need it? The 300D, like the 10D, has a Flash Exposure * (FE) lock, ie it uses the same AE lock button but works in the flash mode instead... with all E-TTL compatible flashes, including the 420EX.

Basically you aim the camera over an area that you want lo lock the flash exposure @ and press the FE/AE button and hold it down to lock-in the exposure with flash, the camera will then emit a pre-flash pulse and measure it TTL through the camera. When you press the shutter release with this button held in, it will preserve the correct exposure of the previous setting with flash that the camera has metered... To do +/- compensation aim for a lighter/darker area before selecting FE/AE * lock button, who need a dial for adjustment anyway?

BTW this will also work with multiple flash heads, but you'll need at least one 550EX on the camera as the master (a 420EX will not do, but only works as a slave in multi-heads configuration), or a wireless IR flash controller. :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:17 PM   #3

I know I could get better/faster at it. But if I tried to do that in the field, often my subject would be gone.

I agree, you can try to make up for flash exposure compensation in that way. But I don't see it working in some situations. And if your guessed metering point isn't right, you'll have to retake the picture (just like with flash exposure comp) but you'll have to guess at a new "better" location to meter off of. I'd rather just alter the exposure comp.

Of course, with my flash knowledge all this is moot. I hardly use the flash, let alone worry about something like that. I just trust in E-TTL and hope for the best. So far, that has worked well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:43 PM   #4
NHL

... Of course one can always twirl the knob to manual after seeing what the camera has selected and increase/decrease the aperture 1-stop (or whatever the compensation required is...). There's always more than 1 way to skin a cat for this seldom used function but is this feature(or others) worth $500 to some people? :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 10:14 AM   #5

I'm not saying that it is. I bet that Flash Exposure Comp is something which most people don't use. It not having the feature is not a surprise to me (not having two wheels to make manual mode easier is another matter. They could at least have used the left/right buttons on the back.)

But you are assuming that people will understand how to adjust fstop to make up for this. Some can, but I bet many can't.

What I think will happen is that people won't use it or miss it, but they will also just take darker/lighter pictures than they want and grumble when they look at them on their computer (and a few will know enough to adjust in an editor.) People take the picture and move on... they don't take 2-3 to make sure it's right. (although maybe this is my film side talking....)

Eric
Old Sep 18, 2003, 2:14 PM   #6

thanks for the assist...I was pretty sure that the work around isn't very pretty.

Held one of 300D's in my hand today and it is much lighter than the 10D with a ultra-wide zoom.

What it comes down to is whether I wanted to spend the extra $600 (cdn) to get the second wheel, the flash exp. compensation and a few more features that I'd use once in awhile.

I'm going with the cheaper camera and buying an extra lens with the difference. I figure that I'll get more use out of good macro lens then some of the other features.

thx
Old Sep 18, 2003, 2:43 PM   #7

That is the right way to think about it. For me, the 4-pic buffer isn't enough, and the user interface would bug me. But I'm not the average shooter in that respect.

Getting a good lens is a very good thing to do with the money. If in several years you out grow the camera, you can keep using the lens! (A SLR should be considered a "system", not really a camera. So many things go with it, many of which are reusable in future cameras. I actually purchased the 10D over the D100 because of the quality of the longer zoom lenses that Canon makes.)

Eric
Old Sep 18, 2003, 3:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Of course, with my flash knowledge all this is moot. I hardly use the flash, let alone worry about something like that. I just trust in E-TTL and hope for the best. So far, that has worked well.
But you got the 550EX flash, right? Did the two pounds of manual that came with it scare you off so much you don't use it ? :-) :-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 6:41 PM   #9

I just brought home my camera (yay!), but there's an odd thing I noticed on the review with info screen: there's an icon that shows what seems to be flash compensation?

I guess I'll have to read the manual to figure that out - maybe it's for the 550EX?

ciao
Old Sep 18, 2003, 9:33 PM   #10

barthold

Almost! No, mostly it's because I've been on cruches for the past month. Something is wrong with my right knee and they don't know what. Makes nature photography a bit hard.

I've used it a few times for a bit, but the one time I used it a lot I got really good results. Here is an example:

(note, 240K picture!)
http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/web_pos...9_2994_alt.jpg

Note that that is a full sensor picture reduced. It is razor sharp even when enlarged and for the overcast day the lighting is good (due to the flash.)

The extra weight is a bit annoying and it eats batteries, especially if you put it into the high speed sync mode (or whatever that is called.) But the results a nice.

Ursa

The icon is probably exposure compensation. Something which is very useful. As far as I know, no review I looked at showed the 300D has having flash compensation.

Eric