Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2008, 1:56 PM   #1

I have a rebel XTI and now want to know if the 500f4L IS will work with it, or do I have to upgrade the camera first? I can not find a reliable site for the compatibility chart.
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:22 PM   #2

they will work together, but the camera will be a little bit front heavy :-)
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:31 PM   #3

thx, is there any chance you have a link for an online chart?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 5:47 PM   #4

No compatibility chart is needed.

The XTi has the same mount as the 30D and 40D and, for that matter, the whole currentEOS line. Bottom line: if it has a mount suitable for those cameras, any lens will work on your XTi.

The only consideration you might look at is if it is an EF lens (for so called full frame sensors) ... EF lenses when compared to equivalent 35mm film-camera ratings will be roughly 1.6 times as long. But that is no big deal. That 500 would be somewhat like an 800mm on your XTi.

With one exception, my Tokina 10-17mm fisheye which is for crop cameras, I use EF (or similar)lenses all the time, by choice, since they work with the full frame cameras ... if I were to purcahse EF-S lenses (for crop-cameras), while they would work fine on your XTi or my 30D,they would vignette terribly on the 5D full frame camera.

If you never intend to consider a full frame camera, and plan to stay with the so-called crop cameras such as the excellent XTi, 30D, 40D, etc., then EF-S lenses may make a better financial investment. Either way, EF and EF-S lenses will work just fine on your XTi.

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:00 PM   #5

Only issue i see as mentioned above is the weight of the set up. The lens will outweigh the camera and the balance will be shifted towards the front end of the lens

With the HOOD attached it would be a real pain handling the set up. A sigma 50-500 would be a better option.

But if u can definitely finance a 500L i would say go for it. Get urself a 20D/30D/40D if possible. Even if not, the 500 would make u more than happy. This is one lens after 85L i would never sell unless there is a lighther 500F4(hehe)

The 500L would give u some results that will blow ur mind...and who said lens doesnt matter..u will see a big difference...
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:16 PM   #6

Thanks,

I want to upgrade to another camera also, but I know if I wait too long my money will get spent elsewhere. Anyway ya look at it that lens will out weigh most cameras. I also plan to get the 1.4 TC. Just wanted to make sure the XTI would work.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:14 PM   #7

yes..it will wokr with 1.4x, 2X and Both , except u loose autofocus with 2x and combination.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:06 PM   #8

It might be a good idea to add a vertical grip to your XTI - makes life a lot easier, especially with large heavy lenses.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:34 PM   #9

I was considering a Bush Hawk.