Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:13 PM   #1

Hi,
I have a question about an AEB bracket. If I set an AEB exposure to +/-2EV and then alter the bias to -2, squeeze off the bracket, then adjust the exposure to +2 and repeat, will this give 5 exposures with a range of -4,-2,0,+2, +4EV or will it be capped at +/-2EV?
regards
nicco
Nicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Not tried it but probably works. However I would be careful about wanting to over expose by 4 stops as depending on the situation could cause damage to the sensor.

What is the plan for such a range of shots?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:29 PM   #3

I play around with HDR and sometimes lust after the Nikon ability to use a wider EV range and number of shots, so wondered if I could "cheat". I ought to try it before asking a question really :idea: .

Could the sensor really be damaged over a +4EV exposure. I know the manual states that you should be careful with direct sunlight, but in theory you could go well over +4EV in manual mode should you chose too, and I have not heard of sensor being melted...
Nicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:35 PM   #4
Super Moderator

That was pretty much it linked into a bright sky on a multi metering then the sky could already be blown out and going +4 is going to allow a lot of light in. It's not just the sun that can 'burn' a sensor but even a low light for long exposure could so it is more of a warning to be careful.

Just thinking about it this way (and hopefully I have my maths right), if you are +4 then that is 16x more light than the camera has metered for. Lets assume that the sky in the shot is already 1 stop brighter then you are 32xtoo muchlighton they sky. Is that right...... I'm tired but I think so.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:58 PM   #5

It is not capped, IMHO. Check this out, very interesting: http://beforethecoffee.wordpress.com...ber-of-images/
EOS350D-SA is offline   Reply With Quote