Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2003, 4:22 PM   #11

Default Re: go to a store and handle each one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpoto

If you decide to buy one of the later digital SLR, the price in those "real" store is the same as in large Electronic /Appliance /Computer stores.
Support your local retailer, you will miss them when they are gone.

What about warranties, at Best Buy I can get a 3 or 4 year warranty for $69. From the “real” store I only get a 1 year Manufactures warranty. I have used a Best Buy warranty on a few other electronic devices and most of the time they just replace the defective device.
bassmaster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 7:20 AM   #12

I am sorry to bring back an old thread. I am new to this site, I only discovered it two days ago. I am considering purchasing the Rebel Digital Kit (300D). This is my dilema, I can purchase this kiit from Best Buy with a 4 year warranty or from a small camera shop with a 1 year manufacturers warranty. If I purchase the camera from Best Buy I would be buying the lenses and accessories from the small camera shop as they have the better selection and more knowledgeable employees. I would welcome any advice on this purchase.
bassmaster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 8:05 AM   #13

in my opinion extended warraties from places like Best Buy are a scam...with any electronic device if it fails it will probably fail within the first year...best buy uses extended warranties as a gamble and its cash/profit right into their pocket...

on the otherside it is a $1000 purchase, if u buy the warranty just make sure you use it before it expires...

i just ordered mine online and paid $1187 for the Kit and a 1GB 40X compact flash card...that was over $200 less then any store around me...

i do feel bad for the little camera shops though, its a shame to see their business go down like that...i do go there to buy my lights and stuff like that though but i simply cannot spend $2-300 more to be nice...capitalism i guess
craig2o is offline   Reply With Quote