Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 19, 2003, 9:29 AM   #1

Default Canon Digital SLR @ Best Buy

What a pleasant surprise when I checked one on my local Best Buy store yesterday... They carry the 10D and the Rebel Digital Kit (300D) and they even have them in limited stock. Price is the usual.
They did not seem to know them to well so I took some time to train one of the salesperson, he was eager to learn.
Hpoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:13 AM   #2

I have to say I'm quite impressed with how fast Canon got the 300D into the store after announcing it. A lot faster than I expected.

Very good for them. I dislike it when companies anounce product way in advance.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:03 PM   #3

Default BH Photovideo

The same day I received notification from My favorite Mail Order/ Online Store BH Photovideo. that the Rebel Digital was in stock.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 1:13 AM   #4

Very exciting to see the Rebel SLR availalble. I think I'm still going to wait to compare to the Olympus E-1 due out in about a month. The E-1 concept sounds intriguing, will be smaller and lighter and has the sonic feature to keep the sensor clean. MUCH more expensive though, but perhaps Olympus will offer some pricing incentives. I at least want to consider the E-1 before I make a final decision on a DSLR. Any thoughts on these issues? THX - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:30 AM   #5

Yesterday, I went to Best Buy in Tulsa, OK (I live about 40 minutes north) and the sales person said that he just dold the last Digital Rebel in stock first thing that morning and did not know when the next order was coming in because each Best Buy was alloted 3 cameras. He also stated that he has had them in stock for about 2 weeks. It is being sold there as the bundle with the 18-50mm EF-S lens.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:33 AM   #6

fporch

I know nothing about that camera, so I really can't comment much. But I wanted to toss this out for your consideration. SLR cameras are really all about the lenses. You keep the camera body around for some number of years (4? 5?) but you'll eventually replace it. You'll want to replace it with something which uses the same lenses to retain the investment in them. So don't just think about the camera body (which does matter, obviously) but also consider the lenses both in quality and price.

Eric
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:16 PM   #7

THX Eric - Good point. I have no doubt that the Carl Zeiss lenses for the Oly E-1 will be well crafted. I guess the big question is will this 4/3's system catch on enough for off-manufactueres to also make lenses. If not, Oly-1 holders will be at the mercy of Olympus and high pricing - or even worse, have a format that does not survive (remember Beta VCR's?). I think it's worth waiting another 6 months to see, although I'm itching to get an SLR as I feel I have outgrown my Oly-C730 fixed lens. I'll post my website below if anyone cares to review my portfolios (leave a guest entry if you do!). Best - john

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 5:56 PM   #8

Yes, that is one of the problems with the 4/3 system. Will it catch on?

If it does, it should do fairly well (they designed it with digital in mind, and made choices that should scale up reasonable well to around 14MP or so I believe. At least, that is what I read.

It is a tough choice.

Also, don't forget to actually go to a store and handle each one. Make sure it feels good in your hands. That it places buttons in reasonable places (do you have big hands? Small hands? This stuff matters.)

Eric
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:12 AM   #9

Default go to a store and handle each one

@ Eric

You say: "go to a store and handle each one"
You are perfectly right.

1/ That is why a Digital compact will never be more than a snapshot camera to me. There is something in the feel and handling of SLR that is prone to creativity. Some cameras just feel right and some don't. Part of it is learned part of it just natural. There are great cameras out there I would never buy because they are just not for my hand.

2/ In a city like Houston of more than 4 millions, there are only 3 or 4 "real" camera stores left. What I mean by "real" is a store with knowledgeable staff and a variety of new, used equipment and varied accessory or studio gear. I really believe in supporting them.
When they also disappear, where will you get the chance to handle a camera before you buy it? If you decide to buy one of the later digital SLR, the price in those "real" store is the same as in large Electronic /Appliance /Computer stores.
Support your local retailer, you will miss them when they are gone.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:11 AM   #10

I can't agree more.

Although I could have saved money (considerable money) purchasing online, I mostly shop a local store. They give me amazing service (I made it clear that I go there because I want good service, and they understood) and they know what they are doing. But there are really only.... 4 places that I would seriously consider in Boston and the surounding areas... not a small population either.

How many online places would have over nighted (for cost of shipping only) a replacement battery charger even before I paid for it. That guarrentied that it would make it to me before I left two days later for a week vacation.

And people don't realize that many things in photography are actually the same price everywhere. Sure, lenses are different but tripods are the same at all good stores (don't understand why...) So get that tripod locally!

Eric