Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:02 PM   #1

Default 300D lens - but no (apparently) Canon

Does their exist on the planet (this one) a 35mm equivalent 28-200 lens that will work with the 300D ? Since it would not be an EF-S lens my assumption... is that is would something like an 18-120 from Tamron or Sigma or xyz or 123 ??? Is there such an EF mount animal ?

Thanks
Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2003, 2:00 AM   #2

Check out these lens review sites. They might say:

http://www.photographyreview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

A quick look at fred miranda's site (only because its the last I listed) shows that canon makes/made one but it was rather bad. (only 2 reviews, though.)

It also listed a 24-200 by Sigma which was liked. (only 1 review, though.)

Food for thought.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:38 AM   #3

Eric,

Thanks for the links. I was looking for an all-in-one lens as there are many times when multiple lenses are not a practical option. I am not a professional, but as an amateur a wide range zoom would add a lot of benefits only found in the "point-and-shoot" group while maintaining the benefits of the 300D.

Thanks again !
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:12 PM   #4

Sigma 50 - 500

Canon 35 - 350

Both 10X but not as wide
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:23 AM   #5

Yea, the "not as wide" is the issue. The 300D is fine for those with a bucket load of existing lenses. It's at least a $1400-$1500 camera when a "new Canon" user buys it, probably more. The bundled lenses are... adequate... if you want two lenses, neither one with sufficient range. It means most Canon 300D (non-current Canon customers) will buy at least two lenses, probably three. Frankly, as nice as the 300D appears to be, it smacks of a marketing scam. I have to chuckle when potential buyers post their enthusiasm about the $899-999 300D. I keep on hearing the turnip truck drive buy.

If there was a single lens that covered 28-170 (35mm equiv) then many potential buyers could rationalize the cost of the high quality body and a moderately priced "one-fits-almost-all" zoom. The purists can carry around their bag of lenses, gadgets and toys while the unwashed masses (to include myself) would carry around a single lens on a camera and enjoy it. Everyone wins. As it is, I think there is going to be a herd of Canon owners who scratch their head two weeks after buying the camera and say to themselves "now... all I need to do to make this really work like the competetion is another lens that costs $450....". Ouch.

Gawd, I love Marketing...
Old Sep 26, 2003, 3:54 AM   #6

I'm using a Tamron 28-200 super2 macro which got quite good reviews. I find its images a bit soft, and it is slowish in auto focus, but I can get perfectly useable results providing I keep ISO at 400. If you want a cheap solution which will cover most of a reasonable amateur / enthusiasts needs, have a look. (Good manual focus lens by the way).
brian1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 7:55 AM   #7
NHL

Altos brings up a good point...

For folks who value convenience (ie small/light, 1-lens only, CCD cleaning etc), may be an all-in-one EVF based camera like the Minolta A1 (or the upcoming Sony F828) is a better choice, if not economically! The A1 especially with its built-in IS capable of 1/20s @ 200mm. To do the same Image Stabilization on the Digital Rebel would require two pricey lenses, beside a 28-200 zoom do not get you the perspective of a wide angle... after the 1.6x factor (~45mm).

There's also another bonus with EVF (even though some folks hate it) is that if you're shooting night scenes like I've done a lot lately with my 10D, the resulting images are instaneous with its WYSIWYG viewfinder in the manual stop-down mode augmented by a real-time histogram! With the 10D/300D one had to constantly review in playback or bracket the shots (or worse change lens in the middle of a shoot, in the open and in the dark, because it's not in the right range)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 4:05 PM   #8
NHL

Someone just had the same thought over dpReview!

Quote:
By the way, I also own a 10D. Regardless of owning both a 7i and 10D, I still plan on purchasing the A1. There are things the 10D can do that the A1 cannot, AND, there are places the A1 can get into that the 10D cannot.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 5:41 PM   #9

Sigma makes a 28-300mm all in one compact. Im not sure how good it is. As long as your shooting in good lighting with the 300mm end of it at f/6.3 as its biggest opening. That might be a fun "all around" lens.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote