Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:11 PM   #1

Default compact flash (card) for 10D

Which is the best?
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:22 AM   #2

Unfortunately, I can't help you too much.

I would look for one which supports E-TTL. SunPak and Metz both make good knock off flash... I assume their E-TTL support is good (but I don't honestly know.) I would look there first. If you care about getting OEM equipment, Canon makes good flash units as well. They charge more, but they are guarrentied to work.

As for an exact model... can't help you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 1:08 AM   #3

Default Are you talking about...

Compact Flash cards or just a Flash for the 10D?
Old Sep 22, 2003, 8:57 AM   #4

Sorry, so much for being specific!!!!! Compact flash memory card. I have read that the Nikon cams utilize the new high speed technology whereas the canon does not. So is the Xtra money for a 30X or 45X card only applicable to the download speed to the computer? Thanks :?:
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:28 AM   #5

Default Fast Cards

All cameras use the speed of the cards but the camera also writes to it's own buffer prior to sending the data to the card. So...the actual speed of the card will only be noticed as a faster dumping of your cameras buffer.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:40 AM   #6

look for the ones that have lifetime warranties, facilities, and telephone acces in the same regions you live in. companies like Simpletech, Lexar, Delkin are all base in the US and Lexar has ops in EU and Asia. as far as speed goes here is a good reference to work from in reference to you particular camera.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6111

the only reason i shy away from sandisk is there lack of personal attention for their products. no phone access. its all done by email.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:22 AM   #7

Default Re: compact flash (card) for 10D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodad66
Which is the best?
I used both PNY and Sandisk CFs, the PNY has lifetime warranty and the Sandisk has the 5 years warranty. They both went throught my washer and dryers a few times and they still work..
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:41 AM   #8

Oops. I saw the word flash and my brain went with it. Flashs are in my head from my own flash issues at the moment. :lol:

Yes, sjm gave the link which I was going to post. Read it, please. It will show you that amost of the top cards are all basically the same. The 10D doesn't write very fast, it instead depends on the deep 9 picture buffer. Not a bad design, until you use up all 9 slots in the buffer. This is why I take short bursts until it really matters.

Some poeple have had trouble with sandisk. The customer support is not very good. That isn't to say that their cards are bad... I can't say either way. But if you have trouble, watch out!

On the other hand, Lexar has treated people here very well.

Personally, I own 2 Lexar and I'm very happy. I've heard decent things about PNY, Delkin. I've also read decent things about Viking.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 1:21 PM   #9

Thanks all, I'm saving for the 10D & know that the card purchase will be immediate & want to make the right choice. :lol:
Old Sep 22, 2003, 4:07 PM   #10

Maybe have a look at this
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6111
Recent CF cards per camera compared.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote