Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:33 PM   #1

Just tried using Auto Exposure Bracketing on the 40D for the first time this past Saturday at a photo shoot. Didn't work out to well , user error, as I did set the AutoExposure Bracketing correctly but forgot to turn the multi shot on as well. After findingthe error made (after the photo shoot was over), I tried some shots at home usingAuto Exposure Bracketing. Works when all instructions are followed but evenwith the camera set to high speed (6 1/2 fps) it seem quite slow and hard to use compared to the P&S in my closet. The P&S you just press the shutter release once and they take three picture all exactly the same composition but with three different light settings. On the DSLR (40D in my case) you have to hold the shutterrelease down untilthe camera open and closes the shutter three times. This is much slower and gives people time to movebetween shots which is not always good.

Questions; Do P&S just take one picture and then adjust the lighting in the camera instead of really taking three pictures with different settings?Are the DSLR's taking longer because they're taking three pictures and actually changing the camera settings for each shot? Do any of you out there use Auto Exposure Bracketing much when shooting any kind of action shots?

Thanks,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:58 AM   #2
NHL

A P/S works in reverse of a dSLR... :idea:
-> It's shutter is normally open to display the picture on the rear LCD and may close (in certain cameras) after the shot is taken to prevent noise bleed through while the data are being shifted out from the sensor. If no shutter is required a P/S can sample three separate consecutive frames electronically varying the shutter speed without the operator ever knowing

A dSLR on the other works like a film camera where the shutter need to open each time a shot is taken! Add to that the time for the mirror to flip out of the way and the aperture on the lens to be adjusted...
-> Theses mechanical steps all take more time than the electronic in a P/S
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:59 AM   #3

I may be way off base here but the whole deal with AEB is to capture more dynamic range by the combining of 3 static images into one.

Not sure how you would use the AEB for a action shot since the resulting combination of the images would have greater range but fuzzy as heck motion since the subject/object would be a dynamic variable against the background.

Then again it could make for a way cool art/effect.

Add on thought: This could be used if you are not completely sure about the exposure for a shot and used it to set a range that covered your estimate.
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:16 PM   #4

Theses mechanical steps all take more time than the electronic in a P/S

But still the P and s will take more time to shoot that sequence compared to that 40D. I would still check the Shutter speed. I feel its too low for the 6frames per second to execute all the six frames in that second.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:16 PM   #5

Going to have to play with the shutter speeds and AEB to see what happens. Like using AEB (sometimes) when not completely sure what the perfect exposure settings should be set to in order to cut down on blown highlights. As for the P&S (wife's FZ5) it shoots in AEB as fast as you can press the shutter (she keeps bragging about it), nice feature but not worth trading in the 40D for aP&S. :G

Thanks for the information,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote