Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 11, 2008, 4:45 PM   #1

what do you people see the difference between a 300D and a 40D ,and the higher end cameras, I will be using the camera while completing my degree in photography, and what do you guys think about lenses, I will be doing everything, so keep that in mind
Thanks for your help
Brett
bassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:54 PM   #2

If anything, I would attempt to compare the 400D or 450D to the 40D, there isn't much similarity between the 300D and the 40D.

Either way, if you are serious about becoming a professional photographer, and the camera you are about to buy will be the tool you will use to do your job, I would highly suggest going with at leastthe 40D.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:32 AM   #3

When you say you will be using the camera professionally, do you mean right now? Or after you complete your degree? There's a big difference.

For study work, the 400d would work absolutely fine. A 40d, while nicer, won't be necessary for learning photography and the money saved could better be spent in other areas.

If you are planning on using the camera 'professionally' right now, in what manner? what specific aspect of photography will you be doing professionally right now?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:49 AM   #4

Well I will really only be using the camera while in college but when I'm finished I guess I will have to buy a new one. some of my friends who are photography majors have said that some of the teaches have voiced concern about the quality of the lower end DSLR cameras, Should I rather Spend the Money on Good Lenses,
Thanks
BRETT
bassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:24 AM   #5

bassfisherman wrote:
Quote:
some of my friends who are photography majors have said that some of the teaches have voiced concern about the quality of the lower end DSLR cameras.
Are these teachers and photography major friends "photographers" or "Equipment Geeks"?

As you said in the above threads that you are learning / studying photography. To my knowledge, photography is about the composition, lighting, creativity...etc...

So there should be no concern about what type of equipment used.A truly knowledgeble photographer will use whatever type of equipment to it's max ability to gain good-great quality pictures.

Just google around for some photos taken by photogs using a LOMO.. I think in sense of quality it's one of the worst cameras around.. but with the skills...My God the picture produced ar spectacular.. Some even can beat pictures by people with no knowledge using the current 1D or D3 series cameras..

With all the above aside... The current low end / consumer grade DSLR's nowadays are so much better in sense of quality as well as price...

My suggestion is finish your photography course with a lower end and purchase high end lenses so that in the future you are not losing out when you decide your career path and purchase a better DSLR body..

Just a couple of my valueless cents.

Regards and good luck with your course.
hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:30 AM   #6

i would definately stick with a 400d or 450d, just so that you can save the extra money to buy some new lenses, and if you get the 450d with kit lens which is the 18-55mm IS it is actually quite a good kit lens now!
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:04 AM   #7

I agree with the others here, if you don't plan on using this camera for anything but your classes, the XTi or XSi will be just fine.

That statement from those professors is odd. I bet they couldn't tell the difference between a picture taken with a XSi and a 40D or even EOS1. Once you have a decent setup, it just comes down to your photographic skills and creativity. If Ansel Adams went on a photoshoot with a disposable camera, and me with my XTi, he would probably come with the nicer shots...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote