Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:08 AM   #1

I am replacing my Canon s2is and Olympus 1.7 teleconverter with a Canon XTI. I am a first time dSLR user.

I am trying to get recommendatios on new lens'. I do take some family pictures at homeat get togethers but most are outdoors. I like to take photos on vacations when traveling on either landor cruise. I also like to take good photos at baseball games( Yankee and Shea Stadium and Tropicana Field) and also space shuttle launches.

I am not sure whether to get the packaged canon 18-55 lens or body only. What lens could anyone suggest that aren't expensive( first time user) and will give me flexability.

Also, can anyone recommend any reliable dealers who may have good pricing.

Thanks for your help.

Rich
guru46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:18 AM   #2

sounds like you are wanting the majic 17-500 2.8 . wish it existed. what is your budget and are you looking for 1 lens or more? xti is a good camera .
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:53 AM   #3

camerageak wrote:
Quote:
sounds like you are wanting the majic 17-500 2.8 . wish it existed. what is your budget and are you looking for 1 lens or more? xti is a good camera .
I am looking to get 2 lens for different scenes.

Rich
Old Apr 12, 2008, 2:18 PM   #4

How much can you afford to spend on the lenses?

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:14 PM   #5

I'd like to stay within the $500 range if possible.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:26 PM   #6

Personally, I would get the XTi body and the new 18-55 IS lens. Not only is it better than the kit, but it will also give you image stabilization. Then I might go for the 55-250 IS lens, again with image stabilization and pretty decent telephoto capability. With those two, you're pretty close in coverage as what you had with the S2is. Those two together will cost you just short of $500 which is what you were looking at.

I usually buy my stuff at Amazon, good prices, 30 day price guarantee, no questions asked return/exchange policy, free shippingand no tax in most states.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:51 AM   #7

Thanks for the help with the lens. It seems like a lot of companies do not have the canon 18-55IS with autofocus in stock but I'll keep looking.

Are there any other items I should initially look at while getting started (filters, etc.).

Thanks

Rich
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:11 AM   #8

When it comes to filters you will get different views on the subject. Here are some considerations:

1. Protection. You will hear that a filter isn't required if you use a lens hood. The lenses you are looking at do not come with hoods. So do you but the hood or the filter?

2. Image quality. Buying a cheap filter can degrade your image. Going with a good B & W or similar will not degrade your image much (If at all) compared to the cheap "throw-in" filters you commonly see on Ebay ads.

3. Cost. Do you really want to spend $80 (and higher) to protect a lens that has a cost in the range of the filter? IE: My 50mm f1.8 lens costs about the same as a decent grade filter so I could just buy another lens and keep it as a "protection" spare.

4. Image effects. Polarizing filters and the like can be somewhat duplicated in software if you are shooting in RAW format to begin with.

On my 17-55mm f2.8 IS lens I do have a B & W UV lens to help(?) with dust getting into the lens. On my 70-200mm f2.8 IS I don't use a filter since I always have the hood on it and the barrel is fixed so I don't worry about dust incursion as much. Then again I haven't done any picture taking in a flour factory. :lol:

Good luck whichever way you go.
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote