Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2003, 1:39 PM   #11

NHL.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but you wrote this:

Quote:
You have to use the spot-metering
and I got it as SPOTMETERING. Well, never mind!

Multimetering or centerweighted would be the best IMO for this shot.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 1:49 PM   #12

Although I never use landscape mode, I'm aware that it will take an average of scene as metering. Even with exposure corrected image I find the buildings disturbing of in color. (due to harsh light?)

Besides monitor differences I think colors should be more something like this;

(Sorry Bruchen for putting your image on Photoshop torture bench)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 1:55 PM   #13

Thanks for the responses and the edit to the photo.

This was one of many tests I did using the basic zone. I can't adjust the exposure compensation when using the basic zone preset modes in the Digital Rebel. Guess locking the AE will do the trick.

Also the metering modes are not adjustable either, the camera sets it automatically.

We'll I've been doing more exposure tests and actually getting it right.

In due time I'll get to know the camera better and take better pictures, but I have to be a better photographer first, haven't I?
bruchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 2:33 PM   #14

I thought'd I throw in the comment that I agree with the comments about exposure comp. I use it to get higher shutter speeds all the time, and then recover in PS. It always amazes me how much can be recovered and still get decent results.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 4:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
NHL.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but you wrote this:

Quote:
You have to use the spot-metering
and I got it as SPOTMETERING. Well, never mind!

Multimetering or centerweighted would be the best IMO for this shot.
There is no true spot metering mode offered in the Canon Rebel digital, metering mode is defaulted on the 35 zone evaluating mode and change automatically by the camera (35z, partial and center weight), not by user, same on the auto focusing mode (one shot focus priority vs. tracking focus). Picture looks low in contrast, too much sky but no texture (like clouds) to support. I suggest you emphasize more on the foreground and allow only 1/3 of the picture for the sky in the picture. Select the proper angle and use the bridge to create a 3D dimension look. If the metering is linked to the focusing point, try to focus on something that has the medium tone. When taking picture against background with strong light source, use the exposure compensation button to adjust for +1 to +2 f-stops (overexposure this landscape picture may white out the blue sky )and besure to attach the lens hood to prevent the flare effect to the final result.

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:43 PM   #16
NHL

Tuan, Bruchen and All

Quote:
Also the metering modes are not adjustable either, the camera sets it automatically.
Partial metering is the 'spot' metering for the 300D! This is set automatically by the camera when the * (AE lock) button is depressed by the user on the Digital Rebel in any of the creative zone, check page 84 of the manual... This method uses the center area of approximately 9% the screen (it's just not a very small spot)!
The camera default to the standard evaluative mode all other times (except of course when the * button is engaged where the camera switches to 'spot'/partial). Centerweighted is only available in manual, but again this too it can be overiden to 'spot'/partial when the * button is pressed. ie the user has control of the metering! This is also tabulated on page 122.

BTW the Digital Rebel has AI focus, ie it's One-shot AF until the subject move, ie If the shutter is held steady during actions then it's Servo AF (tracking), if you want One-shot AF again, release the shutter and press it again! So limited control is designed in... just get the hang of it, the 10D behaves the same way in AI focus! (it's only in the basic zone, like action mode where it is fixed to Servo AF by default)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 11:45 AM   #17

NHL

I agreed with your explanation on the override the metering mode in the Rebel digital on the exposure and the focus issues (I think most of the Rebel digital users will aprreciate the tips ). I voided to discuss that option because I think with improper use of the partial metering, the result will be worst than what the picture actually looks now (at least you can use PS to make the adjustment for better result). There are a number of ways to solve this lighting situation depend on how you understand the exposure, and yes, you can use partial metering if you know what you need to meter off, or you can use the multi-spot metering by a handheld meter as advanced technique to achieve the result that you want (highlight vs. shadow), or use can use the default 35z metering but then again you need to meter off of the major area that will give you the proper reading, then reframe and take picture, or the most simple way as I said as the above, meter the scene normally and use the exposure compensation button to override the final exposure. Remember the final composition of the picture has a lot to do with what method of metering that you want to use for proper exposure... I'm sorry if I offended anyone on this subject; just consider this is my 02. cents...Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote