Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:38 PM   #11

hehe...trust me..its more than a show off....two lens i cannot think of selling are my 85 and the 500.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"and in truth i wanted to show that sometimes lens matters too at 100% and even with a wide open aperture the lens quality makes a terrific difference
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:09 AM   #12

I'll get back to this issue in a few days and will post some pictures. Just got out of the hospital and will be off the radar for a few days.
pabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 8:12 PM   #13

In the menatime, I have been in contact with Canon. They had me clean the lens contacts, but that didn't help. Today, I sent the camera and lens back. I am so disappointed. That lense was soooo what I wanted. I have had a Canon P&S for a long time, and an Olymus SLR.

So now, I am considering a Nikon. Am I right in thinking, that it doesn't matter so much whether I get a D60, D80, or D200 if I get a really good lens. The 18-200 zoom interferes with the flash at below 5.6, I believe, and is also not all that sharp (a big issue with me). I do need it for travel mostly and am looking for one lens that covers most needs. Evenually I will add a macro. Any recommendations? After all the research I have done coming to a conclusion with the Canon xsi, I am at square one again. Help, please.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:40 PM   #14
Super Moderator

I personally wouldn't say you are back at square one. If you are sure that the combo you had selected was correct for your needs then that won't have changed rather possibly you have had a bad body or lens. I use the Canon 1D mkIII, 5D and 30D bodies with a range of lenses from both Canon and Sigma and as you've seen from my samples and the others here you should be getting very usable results. I wish that there was a 0% problem rate (I'm sure there is a more technical term but at 1.20am I can't think of it), but in electrical and mechanical products nothing is perfect.

I always purchase lenses from a local store as sometimes there are problems, although as yet never with a Canon, only Sigma but for bodies I do mail order and not had an issue.

Both Nikon and Canon produce great equipment (as to other manufacturers outside of the big 2) so if you did decide to switch from what you had intended then you will still be looking at great results. My suggestion is double check what you want from a camera setup and then if it hasn't changed then don't change your plans. If you think you need wider than 24mm (38.4mm as a 35mm equivalent) then possibly this is not the lens option to go for, but it is a great lens for what it is designed.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 8:50 PM   #15
Administrator

Chances are, there is nothing wrong with the camera, and changing brands isn't going to help anything. ;-)

You're more likely seeing soft photos due to shutter speeds that are too slow (which you can help out doing things like increasing ISO speed), or you need a better understanding of how Depth of Field works (how much of the image is in focus as you get further away from your focus point), which is dependent on things like focal length aperture, and focus distance.

There is a big difference in the depth of field you have with a point and shoot model versus a dSLR for a given subject framing and aperture. That's one of the advantages of a dSLR (more control over depth of field, so that you can help your subjects stand out from distracting backgrounds). You'll just need to have a better understanding of how that works for best results.

As already mentioned, your best bet is to post some examples of the problem images so that members can help you figure out what's going wrong. That way, you can make a better informed decision on what you need (and if it's an equipment limitation you're seeing).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 2:38 AM   #16
Super Moderator

The vast majority of these sorts of problems are with the operator not the equipment. Most people when moving from a P&S to a DSLR get significantly worse results for a while before they start getting better.

You may have a poor lens, or a poor camera, but it's statistically much more likely that you simply haven't learned yet how to use it properly.

As you wouldn't post some examples with exif data of your pictures there is no way of saying for sure.

But of course if you do change manufacturers and end up with equally poor results I guess you'll know whether the problem was technique or equipment.

P.S. From the errors you make in your posts it's fairly clear that you are a novice at this stuff. The Nikon D40 and D60 DO have autofocus but not in the camera body, so many of the older Nikon lenses won't AF with those bodies.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 8:42 AM   #17
Administrator

This article makes a good read for a new dSLR owner:

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Pontification/ba_Don't_Be_A_Bozo/a_Don't_Be_A_Bozo.html

Again, it's probably just a matter of understanding how the camera works. But, if you can post some examples, we'll try to help you figure out what went wrong (and if it's an equipment issue you were seeing).

Old May 2, 2008, 10:00 AM   #18

Could you please tell me how to attach photos to a post here?
Old May 2, 2008, 10:06 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Check this out it has everything you need.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 10:08 AM   #20
Administrator

Sure.

You'll want to resize your images to around 640 pixels wide for posting here (although if you want to make them a little larger, go with around 720 pixels wide and that would be OK).

How to post your photos

If you're running Windows, you can use something like the free Irfanview

To use it for resizing, simply open an image using File>Open.

Then, use the menu choice you'll find for Image>Resize/Resample.

Click the "Set New Size" box, make the longest side around 640 pixels, with the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" box checked (so that it keeps the same ratio of width to height). I use Lanczos most of the time for the algorithm (you'll see a number of choices available from a drop down list).

Then, click OK and your image will be resized. To save it, just use the File>Save As menu choice and give it a new filename, making sure the file type is jpeg. You'll also see a jpeg quality slider when you're saving. I'd probably set it to around 85%, and that should keep the file size within limits for smaller images.

I'd make sure to give a resized image a new filename when saving it, so that you don't overwrite your original.

Then, when you are making a new post, you'll see a Browse Button at the bottom of the text entry screen that you can use to attach the image you downsized.