Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 2, 2008, 4:36 PM   #31

Thanks, everybody. Yes, I have done tons of reading, and yes, it has not "clicked" to become a good result. I went over all of my pictures again and a lot of them were shot in totally auto mode. The quality was not better. Also, there is a spot on the top right side, quite obvious when the background is light, so I might have a little problem with the lens in addition to being a know nothing operator. Ok, back to the drawing board. Canon is looking at my lens, I am looking at everything else. Then, in a few months, I'll get back here. Your advice was appreciated. It made me keep the camera, because basically, I like the set up. It took me months to come to this conclusion, so I should't just shuck it after the first mistake. Thanks again.
pabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 7:54 PM   #32

i agree with jim, i have been really wanting to get a 24-70 2.8. and some people who have posted reviews on b&h say the lens is terrible, i can't imagine so many of these lenses being bad. so i think alot of folks get these new cameras and expect them to take incredible shots with out them learning what the camera can and can not do. even when you go to a pro lens how you have to learn alot of new things to get the shot you want. i keep tell my point and shoot wife that no matter what camera you buy and how much you pay for it, it won't take a photo in total darkness with out a flash! hahahahahahahahaha yeah she hates that!!

oh and your shots look good to me!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 7:56 PM   #33

Yes, and I hate that comment too.
Old May 2, 2008, 8:13 PM   #34

airbrushjohn wrote:
Quote:
i agree with jim, i have been really wanting to get a 24-70 2.8. and some people who have posted reviews on b&h say the lens is terrible,
I wouldn't give much credence to such reviews. Talk to photojournalists and sportsshooters for major media outlets - find out how many have 24-70 2.8 in their kit. Somehow, those people seem a much more trustworthy source than joe public. If you're interested in pro lenses, listen to the pros. Just my .02
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 8:53 PM   #35

I bought the xsi this week and love it. I've been out of the slr bit for many years. I've found this camera to be very easy to use once you familiarize yourself with the controls. Granted I've got some past experience with film so that helps.

This camera has an excellent exposure indicator which I think would assist you in getting a handle on the relationship of aperture/shutter speed/iso. I would suggest practicing in manual and use the exposure level indicator. The indicator is seen through the viewfinder and the lcd display. Page 18/19 of the manual shows the indicator.

Basically, the indicator has an arrow that slides left/right indicating under/overexposure respectively. All you have to do is adjust aperture or shutter speed until the indicator is centered. Once centered you should have no issues getting proper exposure. You will have to be aware not to set the shutter speed too slow. Changing iso has an affect as well.

This is also a great tool to use to see the affects aperture/shutter/iso have on proper exposure.

You may want to turn off continuous auto focus which if your unsteady could cause focusing issues. Also experiment with changing the auto focus point.

Try setting the camera on a tripod aimed at one subject. You can then experiment with various settings and see the results knowing the camera relationship to the subject has not changed. This is what I'm doing with my wife as I teach her the same basics.

Hope this helps some.
MurphyJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 8:59 PM   #36

Thanks for your input. That does help. I always had it on continuous focus and I AM unsteady, so that's a thought. I will go through the manual again once I have my lens back (it has a dirt spot on it and I only have that one). Also, I am glad to hear that you are happy with your xsi choice. I am sure there is hope for me. You sound encouraging. Thanks again.
Old May 2, 2008, 9:06 PM   #37

You are certainly welcome. Anything to help.

The exposure indicator really is a great tool which will help.

Best thing, unlike the film days, is you get instant results that don't cost a dime. Instant results that you can duplicate, change settings, and see the effect on the image.
MurphyJP is offline   Reply With Quote