Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:03 PM   #1

Today, I went outside to try out my new camera. It's a Canon Rebel Xsi with a EF 24-105 lense. First attempt in the morning was disappointing. Most things were blurry. Colors are good. So I tried again, early and late afternoon. The pix look good on the camera, but when I enlarge them 100% in photoshop, they all are blurry. All of them, except 2 (out of about 200). Those two are close ups of a flower. I have set the focus point, tried different ones, started with all auto settings, went to manual, you name it. Now, I must admit, I am not very knowledgeable, but I have used an Olympus slr a number of years ago and also had a focusing problem, and so did every other user of that camera, so then I switched to a Canon P&S. But I want more, hence the xsi and fancy lense. What am I doing wrong?
pabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:08 PM   #2

Please post a couple of the pictures. That will help give us an idea of what might be wrong.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 7:26 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to Steve's and sorry that you are having a problem.

As John says if you can post some photos that would be great and if you could include the exif (don't save for web if you are using photoshop) that will let us check out your shooting settings. Probably best to post the full image reduced to about 700 pixels for the longest side and also a 100% of a portion of an image at about the same size.

If you are not quite sure what I mean check out this page on my website that has an example http://www.photographysmith.co.uk/id10.html

I'm sure we can get this sorted for you so don't panic!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:10 PM   #4

pabaker, what do the pictures look like when viewed at a more normal magnification in Photoshop? Say, 25%?

Usually a view of 100% is used for fine-tweaking portions of an image, not for actual viewing. I don't think that very many shots look sharp at 100%. It's sort of like printing a shot at 16x20 and then viewing it from 6 inches away. What you see there isn't likely to be tack-sharp either.

Speaking of printing, have you tried printing a few of the pix to see how they look? Try a few at the largest size you can get from a 300ppi file.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:46 PM   #5
Super Moderator

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
Usually a view of 100% is used for fine-tweaking portions of an image, not for actual viewing. I don't think that very many shots look sharp at 100%. It's sort of like printing a shot at 16x20 and then viewing it from 6 inches away. What you see there isn't likely to be tack-sharp either.
It depends what you class as looking sharp at 100%. The shot below is what I would expect (there or there abouts) for f4 at 105mm with this lens. This was taken at the last wedding I shot and it a 100% crop and remember f4 and 105mm isthe softest setting for this lens. I've done nothing at all to this image and it was at ISO400 so a little noise but not a lot with the 5D. If you are not getting results like this, ensuring that you have a fast enough shutter speed, a good subject that has enough contrastwhere you are focusing,then there is possibly a problem.

Obviously with a little USM then things get a lot better and very usable for A1 printing. Anyway, enough procrastination, here is the shot.
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:46 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Just in case you were wondering, here is the full photo.
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:01 PM   #7

Hey, Mark....

That would certainly satisfy me! Your 100% is better than mine!

More incentive to get a new camera!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:04 PM   #8
Super Moderator

It's not all the camera, it's ensuring a good focus especially at things like f4. Here is one stopped down to f14 in the studio. Not a great shot as the pupil is far too large as she hadn't got used to the lights but it gives the idea. Again no editing just a 100% crop.
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:31 AM   #9

It's not all the camera, it's ensuring a good focus especially at things like f4

and add to that the quality of lens. the 85mm F1.2 at just f2.2 gives one of the sharpest image. Heck its sharp at F1.2 let alone F2.2

Here is an 100% at f2.2 unedited.
Attached Images

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:59 PM   #10
Super Moderator

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
It's not all the camera, it's ensuring a good focus especially at things like f4

and add to that the quality of lens. the 85mm F1.2 at just f2.2 gives one of the sharpest image. Heck its sharp at F1.2 let alone F2.2

Here is an 100% at f2.2 unedited.
You are just showing off that you have the 85mm f1.2 LOL