Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 20, 2008, 9:47 PM   #11

Mark,

Many thanks again for the advice.

Looking for a new camera is certainly a challenge these days with so many options and the advice of those who have experience is invaluable.

In fact, surfing the net, another option popped out at me - the Pentax K200D.

I guess I will have to take your advice and go to a store and try and handle the various options to see which feels right.

Gary

a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 3:38 PM   #12

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to chime in on this issue. I just bought the 40D and was torn between this and the XSi (450D) myself. I waited for the 450 to come out where I could compare side by side with the 40D. For me it was an easy choice. I got the 40D on-line with the 28-135 kit option for about the same price as the 450 cost with the 18-55 and 55-250.

While sacrificing some wide angle and tele range this seemed like a pretty good deal to me. The 40D is of far superior construction then the 450 and has better features and options. The magnesium body vs mostly plastic on the 450 was enough to sell me on this route. Now I see that the 40D has come down even further in price since the 450 has been out! Now you can get the 40D body for under a G. I think this makes the 40D probably the best deal in DSLR on the market right now.

Anyone that is debating between these two cameras needs to seriously look at the 40D and the long term value it brings. I'm attaching one of the first pics of my dog that I took with this new set up.

Attached Images

JClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:37 PM   #13

I am in the same situation as others in this thread. Looking for my first dslr, and trying to decide between rebel xsi and 40d. The types of shots will vary. Being in Colorado I do a lot of landscapes, but with a dslr will be interested in experimenting, from action shots to portraits etc. I go to an airshow every year. Would like to take shots of people in the terrain parks when I ski as well as experimenting with a variety of shots.

On one hand, I am thinking if I am going to invest in a camera, I might as well put the extra money in and get a 40d. The other part of me thinks of getting the xsi and putting the extra money into lenses. I would like this camera to last a while as I am not interested in upgrading every year. As I learn and get more advanced, will I find the rebel has it's limits and wish I had something better?

10MP vs 12MP is there a big difference there?
40d would be better for continious shots(for the airshow)?
Is the dust filter on the xsi a useful feature?
Any other major differences between the two?
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:47 AM   #14

Honestly, it's not going to be that much extra to get the 40D now. I've seen it drop dramatically in price since the XSi came out. Do some internet shopping with the bigger better vendors, B&H, Amazon, Beach Camera, etc. I'm sure you'll see that the price difference between the two really isn't that significant any more.

"10MP vs 12MP is there a big difference there?
Any other major differences between the two?"

To answer your questions. There really isn't much difference between 10 and 12 MP. Remember, more MP doesn't mean better pictures. The 40D can shoot 6.5 fps vs 3.5 on the XSi, so yeah it'll be better for action and sports. The 40D can also buffer 75 jpeg and 17 RAW images vs 53 jpeg and 6 RAW on the XSi, big difference. The dust filter is very useful, but the 40D has it as well so it's a wash. The XSi is somewhat smaller and lighter but if you're going to be buying good lenses this won't really make much difference.

The big differences between the two for me are that the 40D is just better made, magnesium body vs mostly plastic on the XSi. It also has a longer life battery and can shoot 1/8000 vs 1/4000 and the 40D can go up to ISO 3200 (H) vs 1600 on XSi. You don't think these last two things are very important, but trust me they are. There are some other notable differences but these are the major ones.

Trust me, you'll be much happier with the 40D in the long run. Two years from now you won't even remember what you paid for it.

JClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 3:34 AM   #15

JClay wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, it's not going to be that much extra to get the 40D now. I've seen it drop dramatically in price since the XSi came out. Do some internet shopping with the bigger better vendors, B&H, Amazon, Beach Camera, etc. I'm sure you'll see that the price difference between the two really isn't that significant any more.

To answer your questions. There really isn't much difference between 10 and 12 MP. Remember, more MP doesn't mean better pictures. The 40D can shoot 6.5 fps vs 3.5 on the XSi, so yeah it'll be better for action and sports. The 40D can also buffer 75 jpeg and 17 RAW images vs 53 jpeg and 6 RAW on the XSi, big difference. The dust filter is very useful, but the 40D has it as well so it's a wash. The XSi is somewhat smaller and lighter but if you're going to be buying good lenses this won't really make much difference.
Quote:

The big differences between the two for me are that the 40D is just better made, magnesium body vs mostly plastic on the XSi. It also has a longer life battery and can shoot 1/8000 vs 1/4000 and the 40D can go up to ISO 3200 (H) vs 1600 on XSi. You don't think these last two things are very important, but trust me they are. There are some other notable differences but these are the major ones.

Trust me, you'll be much happier with the 40D in the long run. Two years from now you won't even remember what you paid for it.

What if it was possible to get a 5D for the price of a 40D ?

Would the 5D compare with the 40D at high 3200 ISO ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:36 PM   #16

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
JClay wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

What if it was possible to get a 5D for the price of a 40D ?

Would the 5D compare with the 40D at high 3200 ISO ?
5D is better than the 40D in lower noise in higher ISOs.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote