Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 1, 2008, 10:58 AM   #1

im shifting from p&s to my first slr. im having a dilemma between the 40d and the 450d.

photography is mostly a hobby for me. but im willing to have lessons and workshops in the future. i have a general field from landscapes to sports to candid shots.

i can have a budget of about $2000-2500. and i think that's enough for me. anyway, im not really gonna buy my slr this time of year. maybe in december or september for the price to go down a bit. im not willing to wait for a new model since its gonna be pricier.

ive read from many forums that i should get the 40d instead of the 450d because of its superior features and small difference from 450d(e.g. in megapixels- it doesnt really matter anyway). and im also happy about its egornomics. they also said that it has a better grip though its heavy but i can live with that.

but the down side is that they said that its a little complicated than most cameras. but is it easy to learn and grow into? i am a fast learner, especially with technology.

and i think its a good cam to start with(40d) so that i wont change my body from time to time. so will i make a good decision with the 40d?
happydaydudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2008, 3:51 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's!!

If you have the budget then I would 100% go for the 40D, it's a great camera and seriously it is not that difficult to get to grips with. As a tool it is a very nice piece of kit with great AF speed, good high ISO performance and for me great handling. To get the most out of any of the cameras though you need to have good glass so keep that in mind as it will make a difference.

Now after saying all that, if you are not a sports shooter and not concerned about low light situations the saving on the 450 might help towards the better glass so keep that in mind.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 5:08 AM   #3

It depends what you use for. Canon XSi is a great Camera. Very light comparing with Canon 40D. It has live LCD and use SD card instead of CF card. The feature which Canon XSi has but 40D does not have is the live view AF. For most of people, Canon XSi with Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS lens is the choice. Canon 40D is more rugged, and faster camera (with 6.5 fps, ISO 3200 and higher shutter speed 1/8000s). For advanced amateur, especially for those who shoot sports photography, or shoot at low light conditions, Canon 40D is the preferred camera.

Shutterdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 4:22 PM   #4

Keep in mind, there's a $200 rebate on the 40D starting soon ... now might be just the right time to buy.

Rebate info: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=37
stabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 1:03 AM   #5

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
if you are not a sports shooter and not concerned about low light situations the saving on the 450 might help towards the better glass so keep that in mind.
Mark,

When you say not concerned about low light, would this apply to taking photos in an auditorium or theater where flash is not allowed? Would the 450D suffice? Motion is not fast, mostly walking or dancing speed.

How about inside a Church for, say, a wedding? How would the 450D fare?

Thanks for your advice.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 2:39 AM   #6
Super Moderator

a-beginner wrote:
Quote:
Mark,

When you say not concerned about low light, would this apply to taking photos in an auditorium or theater where flash is not allowed? Would the 450D suffice? Motion is not fast, mostly walking or dancing speed.

How about inside a Church for, say, a wedding? How would the 450D fare?

Thanks for your advice.
Let's assume you are using the same lens as this is going to have a huge affect on the shooting ability so between the 40D and 450D you will get double the shutter speed in the same conditions with the 40D. Now usually theatre is not too bad as there is reasonable to good lighting so not much of an issue, it's churches where the problems generally arise. I often find I'm shooting with a f1.8 lens and at ISO 3200 which simply would not be possible with the 450D.

To be able to answer if the 450D will suffice, that's a decision you will have to make based on how much you are going to be working in these situations.
Old May 19, 2008, 4:06 AM   #7

Mark,

Thanks a lot for the advice. Fortunately, there will be very, very little Church shots for me. Most indoor shots will be in a gym/basketball court or an auditorium and mostly where flash is allowed.

Old May 19, 2008, 4:12 AM   #8
Super Moderator

You're welcome. All I would say when shooting basket ball is that it's easier without flash using high ISO and a fast lens than it is with flash. If you are going to use flash on either camera I would get the 580 as the 430 lacks the power.
Old May 19, 2008, 9:42 PM   #9

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
You're welcome. All I would say when shooting basket ball is that it's easier without flash using high ISO and a fast lens than it is with flash. If you are going to use flash on either camera I would get the 580 as the 430 lacks the power.
Mark,

I'm a P&S user right now with the Canon S5IS but am seriously thinking of upgrading to an entry-level DSLR like the Canon 450D/XSi. The 450D is my current interest because I want to stay with something that is not too bulky and heavy, having been used to the smaller footprint P&Ss.

What do you think of the 450D? Another option is Nikon's D60.

Gary
Old May 20, 2008, 4:14 AM   #10
Super Moderator

From everything I've seen so far the 450 is producing great results and for what is now entry level good AF and not to bad continuous shooting. I would go for the Canon over the Nikon as I personally think Nikon has shot itself in the foot a little with the D40/D60 cameras not having motors in the body which reduces the number of lenses usable, especially in the fast prime area where you will want to be looking for indoor sports (unless I'm wrong neither their 50 or 85mm f1.8 lenses can use AF on these bodies).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Handling is veryimportant and if you find that the 450 is comfortable to use then that will make a lot of different. If you get something too big, too heavy, too uncomfortable you are not going to want to get it out or carry it around which completely defeats the object of having a camera. I'm yet to use a 450 myself but have played with the 400 a few times and although I find it too small the results it produces are very good so make sure you get the glass to cover what you want to shoot and I know you will be very pleased.