Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 7, 2008, 12:39 AM   #1

Here is a link to what I shot over a period of about 10 days on a 10-day rental using the new XSi/450D. Nothing fancy, but all in the real outdoors where I shoot about 85% of the time - & No bars, graphs or close ups of books or buildings. In the end, I will say that I much more prefer my 30D over this camera.

http://www.pbase.com/hurtman/canon_xsi_road_tested
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 7:09 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I think that is probably what most of us would expect as although the 30D is older it is still a higher level camera with better controls and handling etc.

It's a bit like having a couple of year old mid range family car which is nice and comfortable and then getting a new little compact.... which is going to be the best to spend a long road trip in?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:29 AM   #3

I'm curious . . . what about those of us that "don't know better" should I be looking at an older 30D or an xsi? I'm currently shooting with an Canon S2IS and I like how easy it is to carry around but I'm looking for something to use at my daughter's volleyball games and swim meets. . . both poorly lit venues.
margstamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:04 PM   #4

I had an Xti, not an XSi.
I had the XTi for about 5 months before I decided I'd be better off with a 40D.
The 30D doesn't have, as I recall, the ultrasonic sensor cleaning which is really nice.
I prefer the ergonomics of the 40D, but it depends upon your hand size. If you have small hands, you might prefer the XSi.

I take a lot of pictures of dog agility, in poorly lit venues. The 40D is supposed to have a bit faster focusing system, it also can go up to 3200 ISO and has a 6.5 fps burst rate.

If you're getting a new camera, I don't know that I would consider the 30D as opposed to the 40D.
Just my .02

Joe
Kalispell, MT

margstamps wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious . . . what about those of us that "don't know better" should I be looking at an older 30D or an xsi? I'm currently shooting with an Canon S2IS and I like how easy it is to carry around but I'm looking for something to use at my daughter's volleyball games and swim meets. . . both poorly lit venues.
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:32 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I would agree if the money was not an object then the 40D is choice over the 30D but if you are looking to get the lenses required for shooting well in the environments mentioned then you might need to save a little and get the 30D. The XSi doesn't have the high enough ISO for shooting Volleyball comfortably and even with ISO 3200 on the 30 and 40D you need fast glass. You will be realistically looking at the 85mm f1.8 or 100mm f2 or if you can stretch a long way then the 135mm f2 will be great for shooting from a little further out when shooting the volleyball. For the swimming then one of the 70-200mm f2.8 lenses on the market will be the route and also most will shoot with external flash as well. The shooting with external flash does allow for lesser lenses but for the better focus you will still want the f2.8. Check out some of the shots by Spy who shoots with a 20D (yes that old) and Canon 70-200mm f2.8 non IS and no flash.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82

Now none of this is cheap so it is probably something you can built to. Trust me though it is addictive and you could end up spending a lot LOL.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:46 PM   #6

Personally, I am not impressed with those swim meet images - they look too soft in places - too much water & they have a "smear look" to me.

I do plan on adding a 40D to my lineup of 30D/300D/G7 hopefully before the rebates end.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:57 PM   #7
Super Moderator

That is Spy's (Kevin) style to capture some of the movement, with flash this could be frozen better, but wasn't really going for a discussion on his work (I personally like a lot of it) rather showing that the 20D can do the job so 30D would be fine for swim meets.

I think if you need the higher res and slightly better high ISO performance, oh and the 6.5fps then the 40D is a good upgrade.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:31 PM   #8

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
That is Spy's (Kevin) style to capture some of the movement, with flash this could be frozen better, but wasn't really going for a discussion on his work (I personally like a lot of it) rather showing that the 20D can do the job so 30D would be fine for swim meets.

I think if you need the higher res and slightly better high ISO performance, oh and the 6.5fps then the 40D is a good upgrade.
Off topic I like the way Spy's photos looked. I have used both the 40d and the 30d I personally like the 30d better.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 4:23 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I've not had hands on experience with the 40D so wondered what you found worse about it over the 30D.