Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 7, 2008, 7:28 AM   #1

Well this isnt going to be a review as one might me accustom too. It is more of a soul searching journey and a realization that I had this past weekend. I bought my beloved 40D for myself for Christmas, my wife said go get the camera you want. Anyway I was a proud new ignorant owner. I took Christmas pics and skiing pics and didnt really know how to use the camera, which is fine, but I didnt know what I was missing.
I bought the camera to take pictures of the various events that we go to and participate in. This includes those mentioned above as well as soccer, softball, football, baseball, and the outdoors. I must admit the camera attracted some attention. I started taking pictures of everyones kids at the spoting events and posting them on a site for everyone to enjoy. THis led to parents thanking me and sayinh how wonderful the pictures were. THis also led to a question that I don't know how to answer; "are you a photographer". My immediate answer is no, but then again it should be yes. What qualifies one as a photographer? It isnt the equipment because a true professional that knows more than myself could get better pictures with a P&S, but I do my best and have invested time, money, and energy into this.

Anyway, onto this realization from this weekend. There was a soccer tournament, 4 games in two days. I was packed and ready. I even brought my laptop to review and download images between games. WHen I get there, Sony has a booth set up where you can sign out a DSLR camera and take pictures. There were no less than 1500 Sony cameras at this tournament. It was amazing to see eveyone taking pictures. As the weekend progressed I saw the enjoyment the parents experienced while running around with their cameras. That led to my realization, whether rented or owned, DSLR, SLR, or P&S it really doesnt matter. The enjoyment of taking pictures is what really in truly matters.

In the end, I love my camera and I believe I made the best choice possible, but I now belive that I would have been happy taking pictures with a P&S. I say shame on me because my former misguided self belived that the camera made the photo not the photographer. I now know different, it is the subject and the memory the picture generates that make it all worth while. To have parents come and thank me for taking pictures and sharing them is a wonderful feeling. The business man inside me belives that I could turn a profit by selling prints on site. I could take pics at all the games and set up a booth. However, I think I would lose the fun that I am having right now, maybe I just answered my question. Is a photographer a person who gets paid for their service? Or is it a person who loves taking pictures?
piratelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 7:49 AM   #2
Administrator

piratelife wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, onto this realization from this weekend. There was a soccer tournament, 4 games in two days. I was packed and ready. I even brought my laptop to review and download images between games. WHen I get there, Sony has a booth set up where you can sign out a DSLR camera and take pictures. There were no less than 1500 Sony cameras at this tournament.
So, did you try one? ;-)

That's interesting. I didnt realize Sony was doing that kind of thing now. Where was this if you don't mind saying?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 8:00 AM   #3
Administrator

piratelife wrote:
Quote:
Is a photographer a person who gets paid for their service? Or is it a person who loves taking pictures?
From my perspective, a Photographer is anyone taking photos with a camera. If you are getting paid for it, then you become a Professional Photographer. Of course, the definition of a Pro is very controversial, too (with some arguing that most of your income should be derived from Photography to call yourself a Pro).

I don't see skill level or percentage of income as being part of the definitions (you can have good and bad amateur and pro photographers, and if you're selling your photos, it's a Professional service).

Old May 7, 2008, 4:23 PM   #4
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
That's interesting. I didnt realize Sony was doing that kind of thing now. Where was this if you don't mind saying?
The local PENN store has a tent sales last weekend where there's all kind of Sony dSLRs (along with Canon and Nikon of course) to try - The most interesting part though were the Sony white 'G' lenses and a few Zeiss...

Really Sweet!!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 5:22 PM   #5
Administrator

Sony had a sneak preview of the upcoming Sony Full Frame 24.6 Megapixel Flagship dSLR model at The Photographic and Digital Imaging Show in Missisauga, ON. This show ran from May 2 through 4, and Sony was advertising it on their sonystyle site in Canada.

Sony Style Canada page with more information

You'll see a couple of photos in the second row of thumbnails on this page someone posted in an album:

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/henr..._show_may_2008

Sony had the model number taped over (and they still haven't said what it will be, with most people just assuming it will be the A900). So, it's probably getting pretty close to being ready for production since it's got a model number on it now.

They're a manufacturer to watch out for. They managed to grab 6% of the worldwide dSLR market in 2006, despite only having one dSLR model (the A100), that was only available for about 6 months of that year (placing them 3rd in worldwide dSLR marketshare behind Canon and Nikon). They managed to hold on to that same marketshare in 2007, despire only having that same one dSLR model for most of the year, only starting to ship the Sony A700 in the last quarter. They've already got a large distribution network in place. ;-)

Now, Sony has released an A200, A300, A350, and A700, with a new full frame 24.6MP flagship model to be released later this year. Sony is already the second largest manufacturer of digital cameras behind Canon (with Nikon not even a serious contender now their point and shoot marketshare has dropped so much), and Sony is just getting warmed up in the dSLR market niche. lol It looks like they're going to spend some money on marketing them, too (based on the posts I see about them in this thread so far).

Old May 7, 2008, 10:32 PM   #6
NHL

Actually inside the tent, the Canon booth was next to the Nikon while the Sony booth was facing them... :lol::-):G Of course the two favorite questions to the reps present were when is the A900 available and when do we see the next EOS-5D?

I was quite pleased with the A700 ergonomic, but their lenses are something else: quite impressive industrial design with very modern line and finish.

-> SSM drive, circular aperture and flawless MTF's:

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 6:10 AM   #7

Jim C,
I didnt try one, but the shots looked good and people were able to figure out the camera well enough. This was in Oakbrook Illinois at the Hawks Classic Soccer tounament. I think it is a wonderful add campaign. I believe it is part of their HDNA marketing plan, but im not sure.
Old May 8, 2008, 6:17 AM   #8
Administrator

Thanks. I didn't realize Sony was putting that much effort in to marketing them (which is a good thing from my perspective, since I have a Sony A700 now). ;-)

Old May 8, 2008, 8:33 AM   #9

I think it is great as well. Competition means that we as a consumer get a better product at a cheaper price. If I run into it again, I will sign one out and shoot for the day.
Old May 8, 2008, 6:27 PM   #10

piratelife wrote:
Quote:
In the end, I love my camera and I believe I made the best choice possible, but I now belive that I would have been happy taking pictures with a P&S. I say shame on me because my former misguided self belived that the camera made the photo not the photographer. I now know different, it is the subject and the memory the picture generates that make it all worth while.
That is a statement that I have learned to see 2 truths coming from opposite directions.

On the one hand just buying a "Pro" camera doesn't give you "Pro" images unless you have the knowledge to take advantage of it.
It is fair to say that putting your 40D in the "green" position will (most likely) give better images than most (If not all) P&S cameras. How noticeable that difference is will depend on the conditions of the picture as well as it's final output.
On the other hand, you can capture a memory with any camera. And frankly when (or if) you get the camera to "see" what you saw you will have a wonderful memory. And I am sure nobody will really care what piece of equipment was used to get that memory.

But as your knowledge of your equipment and your level of skill increases you will find that you can capture memories with greater ease as well as get some shots that a P&S would not be able to capture. And knowledge of your equipment is just as important as your skill level of photography. IMO neither one is any less important than the other.

I am sure that any renowned artist, using dime store paints and brushes, could crank out a better picture than I could even if I had the best materials and tools. But if you check what the renowned artist uses on a daily basis I am damn sure he doesn't shop at the dime store for his supplies.

Or to use an analogy: Practice your driving skills all you want in a Corolla and I am quite sure you will become quite skilled in wringing out every last level of performance that vehicle is capable of. Once you have it mastered you could possibly make someone who just bought a (Insert your performance car of choice here) look silly if they don't know how to properly apply the higher performance features of their "pro" car. But if you were to switch cars you would make the other driver look even sillier once you realize the added potential of the higher priced "gear".

If this is the first digital camera you have used you have 2 things to learn: The skills of photography and the knowledge of your equipment so you can take full advantage of both.

I agree with JimC about a photographer being anyone taking pictures with a camera. What level of photographer the person is is answered with the images he/she takes.

The only shame you should be ready to accept is the one that comes from not learning the craft and gaining the knowledge of the equipment you purchased.

I would be really interested to read a post from you in (insert appropriate time here.) and see how you feel about your purchase then.
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote