Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 22, 2008, 12:27 PM   #1

What do you guys/girls think about full frame cameras, I currently have a 40 D but dont wont to buy $1000+ if they cant only be used on cameras like the 40 D that have a crop factor, should I rather buy lenses that could be used on full frame cameas and the 40 D , if I ever want to switch,
thanks
Brett

bassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2008, 12:52 PM   #2
NHL

There's a trade-off though...

Full-frame lenses are usually larger and heavier and usually not as contrasty or have a lower MTF as a cropped lens only since their light beam has to strike the sensor at a more acute of an angle! :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 4:53 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Well apart from full frame being a total misnomer I would say it will depend on where you want your photography to go.

Any camera and lens combination where the size of the film/sensor is matched to the lens is full frame. So a Canon 40D with a EF-S lens is in fact full frame. Also a medium format camera with a much larger size sensor when used with a medium format lens is full frame.

What we are talking about here is a 35mm sensor (approx) rather than APS-C sized. There we go, that is the lesson out of the way and the term full frame seems to have stuck pretty well.

Now back to your question. I don't think there is going to be a huge swing away from APS-C sensors for the majority of users as people are used to how their camera performs, there are great lenses available for APS-C, the cameras are cheaper to produce and are still giving wonderful results. I only have a Canon 5D as I shoot weddings and it is an awesome camera to use for this environment. Wide angle is another area where having a larger sensor can help, however not such an issue as there are good super wide zooms available. The last major area that is helped by a larger sensor is the reduced depth of field so for creative photography this is a bonus, however the opposite is true when you need to get a wider depth of field so you can find you struggle to get the shutter speed needed.

Oh, as I did add the 5D to my 30D I did experience the problem you are talking about where I had to sell lenses to buy new ones. My advice is to get the lenses that will give you the best performance for your shooting needs. Good glass will make a big difference to your results and if it happens to work with larger sensor cameras that might be a bonus.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 1:56 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I agree with Mark.

Get the best lenses for your current needs. If or when you ever "upgrade" to a bigger sensor then you will either keep your 40D, in which case you will still need the best lenses for the 40D, or you will sell it in which case you can sell the lenses that no longer suit you at the time.

In the meantime you get to choose and use the best lenses for your current needs. It makes no sense at all to me to make a compromise now, choosing a lens that is less suitable NOW just in case you want to use it on a different camera later on.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Any camera and lens combination where the size of the film/sensor is matched to the lens is full frame.
Mark,

I'll politely and gently disagree. Specific terms and definitions are used to facilitate our communication, so the generally (or widely) accepted definition is usually the only useful one.

Fred Miranda: "With the advent of the new 1Ds CMOS full frame sensor, which is identical in size to 35mm film..."

Wikipedia: "
A full-frame digital SLR is a digital single-lens reflex camera fitted with an image sensor that is the same size as a 35 mm negative"

Cnet: "Sony has announced that it has developed a 24.8MP full-frame 35mm sensor."

Dpreview: "Some will undoubtedly question Nikon for 'only' delivering twelve megapixels on their first full frame digital SLR..."

I AM curious, though. Is there a body of authoritative references to the term 'Full Frame' being used for a matched lens-sensor system as you allude?

Politely and respectfully,

Rob
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Super Moderator

It has been accepted as the standard term now as you've shown with the research that you've put into this, however it is not an accurate term that's what I was pointing out at the start of answering the actual question.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote