Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 27, 2003, 3:52 PM   #1

Default Looking for fun "accessories" for the 10D

Hey all,

Been looking around and was wondering what you all have for little add-ons for your camera. What kind of camera straps you like, cleaning items, anything. I myself was looking at camera straps. I would like to find one that is really soft so it doesnt make my neck all itchy when I get warm. The OEM one that comes with the camera is pretty good, but could I get one thats all velvet or whatever it is on the inside?

Please let me know what you have for little toys that makes you enjoy your camera just that tad more...
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2003, 8:49 PM   #2

I have been looking at straps myself. What I was told was to not get them with plastic clips. The problem is that plastic doesn't show when it fatigues. It just breaks. Metal shows it as it wears out (and it lasts longer, if well made.) The problem is that almost every one that I looked at had plastic!!!

Domke seems to make some good ones, though. I really need a new one as well.

As for cleaning cloths. I went to a Costco and got micro fiber towels. About 8" square. I use 3 in the kitchen, and kept two for myself. They work great for cleaning the lens 'cause they leave no lint. Work very well.

The best investment for me so far as been the LowePro Toploader Zoom Pro AW. They don't make it any more (but they do make smaller models, this one is huge!) I find that it works very well when I know I'm not going to need extra lenses. Check out:

http://www.lowepro.com/pages/bySeries/topZoom.htm

Interesting, they still list the Pro, but two stores said they had stopped making it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:11 AM   #3

Here are what I purchased lately for the 10D:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=194933

this one too:

http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500570_specs.html

a word of advice; if you get your hand on one of this, you never want to let it go...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 9:55 PM   #4

I got a strap from 'Matin' - neoprene wth releases so I can easily leave the strap off when using a tripod or monopod. Paid $15 for a dark green one that said 'Canon'. The plain ones were more.

The expensive accessory that i got was a Domke F5 bag. It barely caries my camera with my 72mm diameter 28-105 lens. But I carry it with me everyday and it doesn't draw attention like a lowe camera bag would.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 12:22 PM   #5

[email protected]

Why have both those devices? And how much did that last one cost? The second one seems to replace the first one.

ursa

That actually holds a SLR? The picture of that bag makes it look very small. I assume you have to put it in sideways? I don't believe that LowePro makes a bag of that style. Their claim to fame (comfort even when fully loaded) doesn't matter as much with a bag that small.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 1:57 PM   #6

Ursa, do you have a link to the strap you bought?

thanks,
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:17 PM   #7

eric -

the bag holds the camera, my 420 flash (or 75-300 lens), spare battery and a bean bag tripod gizmo (the pod). i also carry a small pad of paper, a fisher bullet pen and a lens pen combo brush. Enough for a lunch time of shooting sights around the office.

The camera sits on it's side and I've adjusted the padding to support the lens along its length and at the front. it is pretty secure and reasonably well padded - but not as well as some of the other bags I have. Would I carry a camera in this bag while heli-sking? no, then again I can't ski.

Set up the way it is the camera sits with the grip facing up, ready for use. It is a tight fit, but less tight then my Lowe Offroad 1 with this particular lens. With a smaller lens it would be roomier, my everyday lens is almost the size of the camera. Access to the camera is simply opening the flap (lots of velcro to hold in down) and grabbing the camera.

I spent a ton of time trying to find the 'right' bag, then figured out that I wanted two bags. A small one I could take to work, to family occasions etc., where I wasn't going to use the whole kit. And a bigger bag to take if I wanted all my lenses and accessories. The bigger bag is the Domke 'little bit smaller'. Generally every camera gets it's own bag, keeps things safer that way.

The nice thing about Domke bags is that they don't look like a camera bag so I tend to blend in. I've been playing around with street portraits and people in rush hour so being stealthy is good.

barthold -

here are the links - http://www.vistek.ca/details/detail_...&Specs=N&Box=N

but it looks like the clearance special is over

here's the link to the Matin page - http://www.matin.co.kr/english_ver/s...M-6695&idx=107
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:51 PM   #8

Ursa, thanks for the links! From the picture I cannot tell if the strap has plastic or metal clips. Since you own one, you should be able to tell us :-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 8:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
[email protected]

Why have both those devices? And how much did that last one cost? The second one seems to replace the first one.

Eric
No, you don't need both, just need one, the second one have a larger HD (80gig) and can record digital video as MP4 format but needs the CF adapter to transfer picture file, the first one have the CF slot built in, it's expensive for the Archos, $899 for 80gig, $699 for 40 gig.

If you have limited budget, go with the first one, you can't go wrong, great tool for folks who take a lot of pictures on the road. I carry only two CF cards (512 gig)with me and the fastrak, when I fill up pictures with one card, I dump all of them to the fastrak and I have plenty of room to take picture again, the other card just for back up in case there's somthing wrong with the first one, plus the fastrak is also a MP3 player, can also play AVi file and the screen is fantastic, 3.5 inches LCD, great to view your pictures on there too, the fastrax looks like a PDA, only it looks more handsome, the screen is folding down when not in use for screen protection.

Lowest price for the Smartdisk fastak in @ ecost.com, $449 with free shipping. Cheers

Archos AV380:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=194933

Smartdisk fastrak:
http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500570_specs.html
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 8:06 PM   #10

barthold -

it has plastic clips and hardware. I haven't seen any quick release clips made of metal.

I feel that plastic is more than strong enough, most of the bags use plastic hardware and they have a much heavier load than the camera strap. (although they're usually bigger)