Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 5, 2008, 2:56 PM   #1

Hi, I bought a Digital Rebel XTi about 6 months ago. I like the camera, I may hang onto it for a lighterweight hiking camera.

About 99% of the shooting I do are action shots under low light conditions. I photograph dog agility, which usually takes place a dark horse barn. Dogs going over jumps, through tunnels, etc.

From the reading I've been doing, it seems that the 40D is a better low light performer than the 400D. Not a lot, but every bit helps.:-) The primary lens I use for indoor is a Canon 85mm f 1.8 USM.

My question really is this: the shooting display,on the XTiall the settings, are on the rear LCD; there is no top mounted LCD.

It looks like the 40D has all of the shooting settings on a little top mounted LCD. In your opinions, will I find that not as good of a situation? I can foresee it being better, cause everything is concentrated, easier to take in at a glance.

Joe

Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2

I haven't used the XTi, but most of the information in the top LCD on the 40D is also shown in the viewfinder. You really never have to take your eye away to see the information.

Hope this helps.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3

Thanks 'hunter! I bought the 40D some time ago. Not only is it shown in the viewfinder, put if I press the INFO button the back it's on the LCD. It's odd though, in the book it says if you press a button on top (for instance WB), the information is displayed on the LCD.
It's not displayed for me until I press the info button, so it's a two stage process.
1. Press info button
2. press button on top.

One thing that bugs me that I've asked about, but haven't found a solution, is the viewfinder display duration.
If I'm shooting manual, I would sometimes like to have the information onscreen for longer than 3 seconds. I know I can press and hold the shutter button, but I thought there would be a way just to set it to stay on longer.

Joe

headhunter66 wrote
Quote:

Hope this helps.

Dave
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote